7 Americanisms that Brits Should Adopt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The great US of A is the world leader in basically everything. Except for maybe tea and cake – there’s no real competition for the Great British Bake-Off. HC Nottingham suggests a few American features that Britain should really be importing…

1.       Sweets (or Candy…)

Although they have started appear in shops here, Hershey’s and Reese’s need to be everywhere like NOW. Definitely not in the same league as our delicious native Cadbury’s though – although now they are owned by an American company, it seems like the US has all the good stuff. Sharing is caring?

2.       FOOD in general

America is notorious for all its glorious food – and we’re not talking about McDonald’s or Subway. Let’s just say, if the States want a huge influx of British immigrants (or any immigrants!) they just need to make this guy President.

And we’re also really curious as to what Twinkies are.

3.       The University (sorry, College) System

It can hardly be denied that the world’s best universities are in the US of A (MIT and California Tech topped the world uni rankings last year). But the flexibility of their education is enviable. Whereas in England our courses are generally focused in one area, in the States it is possible, and usually required, to choose classes in a variety of different subjects, such as arts, languages and sciences, before having to decide a ‘major’. In one year you can study botany, art history and Spanish, and not be considered ‘confused’.

4.       University Sports Fanaticism

Now whilst it is true that we Brits are certainly into our sport – yell ‘Man United!’ in a pub and see what happens – our friends across the Atlantic certainly do it in more style. Whilst university sports in England are generally limited to those playing, in America sport plays a part in the lives of every student in some way. If you’re finding it hard to believe, check out the support at this American football game at Boston College!

Image courtesy of Her Campus BC

5.       Thanksgiving

When do we have a day in England to appreciate life and everything in it? True, Thanksgiving is based on a historical event rooted in the birth of the American nation. But the concept is beautiful and perhaps a much-needed addition to British culture. Also… all that pie.

6.       Geography

Not sure if this counts as something we Brits can really ‘adopt’, but the vastness of the US means so much diversity! In NY it’s averaging around 3 degrees right now but in LA it’s reaching highs of a gorgeous 25. By comparison, the UK in January is basically equally miserable wherever you are. The woes of being a tiny little not-so tropical island.

7.       Confidence

Our transatlantic friends are known for their patriotism and self-belief. Not that us British are insecure and grumpy (well, a little grumpy), but there’s something about the American spirit that we could do with having a little more of.

In conclusion, Britain is in need of some pecan pie, stat.  

Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.