6 Things I’ll Miss About Studying Abroad in the USA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

My year abroad is now coming to a quick end and, although it’s had its ups and down, it has been one of the best experiences I have ever had. I remember first getting here and missing so many things from home. Although I’m excited to go back to those things, there are definitely things I will miss from living in the USA too.

The Food

America’s food is one of the biggest things I’ll miss from this year abroad. I don’t think I’ve ever consumed as much cheese in my entire life than I have in only 9 months here. I have fallen in love with the new staples in my diet such as Grilled Cheese and Calzones. America has such unique cuisines wherever you go too. You can choose from every cuisine imaginable in New York City: sample fantastic Cuban food in Miami; try a famous Philly Cheese Steak in Philadelphia and experience Clam Chowder in Boston.

The Work

Americans do university very differently than we do. Although there is a high volume of work due in all the time, unlike one big essay or final exam at the end of each term, the work tends to be easier to manage and there is usually less to do. Most people don’t know what a secondary source is here until they are in third year. I’ve never received so many 90s and above! I’m not looking forward to going back to 2500 word essays and a dissertation in Nottingham!

The People

Studying Abroad means branching out and meeting new people. Even if you stick with the same friends throughout the year, you meet so many different people. One of the best things about studying abroad in Albany is that there are so many international students from all across the globe. It will be strange not to see the same faces around campus and in the dining hall ever again. Most importantly I’ll miss the lifelong friends that I have made.

The Dollar

Although switching to a different currency was difficult to get used to in the beginning (I mean who makes their 10 cents coins smaller than a 5 cents coin?), I will miss paying for things in dollars. Converting something you just paid for, or are about to pay for, from dollars to pounds always makes you feel like you are saving money. No longer can I justify buying an excessive amount of makeup from Sephora because it’s cheaper in dollars than it is in pounds. No longer will I be able to get a Five Guys so cheap again. Sad times.

The Travelling

One of the best parts of being on a year abroad in America is the ability to travel easily and frequently. You’d be surprised how different each city is and how much there is to see and do in each one. Living in New York State meant that I could get a bus to so many different cities like Boston and Montreal. Living close to New York City also meant easy access to anywhere across America, from short bus journeys to Philadelphia to relatively cheap flights to Miami. I’m going to round off my year abroad with a three week tour of the US with destinations including San Francisco, Los  Angeles, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, New Orleans, Memphis and Chicago.

New York City

New York City is definitely the thing I will miss about my study abroad the most. Instead of getting a seven hour flight and spending hundreds of pounds I could get a 2 hour bus to the greatest city in the world. How often will I be able to just pop into the city for a day of shopping or sightseeing for only $20 again? Also New York City never gets boring, with so many things to do and see, you’ll still leave wishing you’d done so much more.

Sources: tumblr, kiss925.com, blogspot, freedomfloodgates.com, cdn2.gurl.com, reactiongifs.com

Edited by Caroline Chan

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus! 
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.