This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Christmas: a time to share with family and friends; to give and receive; to spread kindness and joy. But (more importantly) it is a time for food, and lots of it. This holiday season can therefore be bittersweet for vegetarians and vegans alike. Although we bask in the joy of the most wonderful time of the year, it is also a time where our moral and dietary choices are likely to be challenged and judged. You may have been a vegan for the past 15 years, but when you politely refuse a slice of that Christmas turkey breast, it just doesn’t make sense to a lot of people – some may even say you’re missing out on the full Christmas experience.

Well, as a fellow veggie, I’m here to show you and your omnivorous loved ones that this is definitely not the case, and that a life without animal products is not a life of limitations, but one full of new and exciting (festive) food opportunities!

Starters:

Brie Salad with Sweet Dates and Candied Walnuts

Spiced Squash Bisque Soup (Vegan)

Stuffed Mushrooms (Vegan)

Roasted Red Pepper Bruschetta (Vegan)

Mains:

Simple Nut Roast

Cranberry and Pistachio Nut Roast (easy Veganised by leaving out the non-vegan ingredients)

Mushroom Wellington

Nut-Stuffed Mushrooms (Vegan)

Simple Nut Roast

Sides:

Dairy-Free Roasted Potatoes (Vegan)

Simple Stuffing (Vegan)

Mixed Mushroom Stuffing

Yorkshire Puddings (Vegan)

Cauliflower Cheese (Vegan)

Simple Stuffing

Dessert:

Red Velvet Peppermint Cupcakes (Vegan)

Pecan Sticky Toffee Pudding

Chocolate and Apple Brownies (Vegan)

Gingerbread Men (Vegan)

Pecan Sticky Toffee Pudding

Hot beverages:

Eggnog (Vegan)

Peppermint Hot Chocolate (Vegan)

Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate (Vegan)

Peppermint Hot Chocolate

Leading supermarkets including Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose and Asda have stocked up on frozen and ready-made vegetarian AND vegan savoury and sweet festive foods: a safe bet if you aren’t much of a cook or your family aren’t willing to cook something separate for you (plus dairy-free ice cream and cheese is stocked all year round). So enjoy, and don’t let any Grinches ruin your passion for animals and a meat-free lifestyle!

Edited by Naomi Upton

Sources:

www.bbcgoodfood.com

www.minimalistbaker.com

www.sheknows.com

www.allrecipes.co.uk

www.jamieoliver.com

www.veganrecipeclub.org.uk

www.blog.fatfreevegan.com

www.vegkitchen.com

www.contentednesscooking.com

www.onegreenplanet.org

www.seriouseats.com

Anna Vujicic

Nottingham

Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.