10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD VISIT A MUSEUM THIS AUTUMN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Halloween has gone and it seems like Christmas is swiftly approaching. Maybe you don’t have the urge to hit the Christmas markets just yet or maybe you’re wanting to take some cute pics for Insta before the leaves entirely fall off the trees. Either way, you probably still want to go out with your friends, but the mere thought of another Crisis Wednesday might be bringing back the headache from the morning after.  

So if you’re looking for an alternative way to spend your time, I’ve got you covered! Here’s why I think you should visit a museum:

a cheap day out

Most museums (bar National Trust properties) have free entry! And for those who do charge a fee, it is often small – some of them even guarantee entry for the rest of the year! In this current climate, everyone’s looking for a cheap weekend plan, so a visit to your local museum, castle or stately home could be just what you need.  

it’s wholesome

Going out-out in minus degree weather or even staying up late isn’t always for everyone. So a trip to a museum could be perfect, especially for this time of year, or for the friends who prefer sober activities, or those who decide maybe it’s time to be a bit more civilised this week. Museums are great places to go with your friends, dress up cute, and take some Instagram worthy pics for that November recap. 

leArn something new

You probably went to university to learn, but who says it can stop there! One of the main draws to museums is the idea of learning something new. Likelihood is, you’ve been to several museums as a kid, so why not waken your inner child and your fascination for learning?  

keeping people employed

One thing that people rarely think of is that visiting a museum keeps people employed! During this cost-of-living crisis, visiting a museum could benefit the people working there as well as you! The more people through the doors, the more likely the museum is going to be kept open.

get inspired

Whether you’re an English Lit, or Fine Art student, or one with a passion for creative outlets, going to these amazing places can inspire a wave of creativity. They have been an inspiration for countless art pieces and novels, so who says they can’t be your inspiration for your next best seller or newest hobby!

start exploring

Often museums are hidden, especially in cities. Exploring parts of a city or town is a great way to get out. Perhaps Nottingham is your home-town but you’ve never been to these places on your doorstep, or perhaps you’re wanting to explore this new city for the first time. Going to places like museums is an excellent way of getting to know the place.  

introduce culture to your life

Naturally, people can get a bit hung-up with their day-to-day life, so why not take an interest in some local culture and heritage to break up your week?

see something unusual

It’s not every day you can see a stuffed giraffe or rocks from the dawn of time. Museums can contain cool, quirky, and sometimes macabre collections. There is always something to tickle your fancy! 

not that interested in history?

Museums are no longer confined to stuffy old houses full of art pieces you’ve never heard of. There are the usual stately homes and mansions, but now museums include subjects like space, engineering, and natural history. There is often a place for everyone.

keep history alive

The bottom line is, if these places were not in use, our history would have died along with the people. Without them, we wouldn’t have gorgeous movie sets or endless inspiration for those cheesy romance novels.  

So why not visit a museum? You might even learn a thing or two!

Hannah Kane

Nottingham '25

Hannah is a 2nd Year Biblical Studies and Theology Student at Nottingham. Her articles range from reviews to culture to the nuances of every day life. In her free time, she volunteers at Nottingham Castle and Wollaton Hall, and can often be seen avoiding hills on campus at any possible convenience!