10 Reasons Why Croatia Needs to Be Your Next Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

With this summer drawing to a close, its time to plan the next. Croatia has witnessed a huge growth in tourism in recent years — and it’s not difficult to see why. Here is why your next summer trip needs to be to Croatia:

1. Game of Thrones

Croatia is famously home to several filming locations for Game of Thrones, most famously, King’s Landing in Dubrovnik’s Old Town and Diocletian’s Palace in Split.

2. The chance to holiday with royalty, the rich and the famous…

Famous faces, including Beyoncé and Jay Z, Prince Harry, and Oprah Winfrey, have been seen visiting the Mediterranean destination in recent years. Hvar in particular is favoured by A-Listers. If it’s good enough for Queen B and a real-life Prince, it’s good enough for me!

3. It’s TOTALLY Instagrammable!

If you didn’t post it on Instagram, did you even go? From stunning beaches, beautiful architecture and the most incredible views, it’d be selfish not to share it on the ‘gram!

4. Hideout Festival

Hideout is a house and techno festival that lasts five days and five nights and has featured artists such as Chase and Status, Stormzy and Hannah Wants. The festival happens on the beach, in some of the best clubs in Croatia and on boats. It’s absolutely unmissable and tickets are already up for pre-sale for 2019!

5. Island Hopping

Croatia has over 1000 islands and they alone are enough reason to visit. Just off the coast of Hvar are the Pakleni Islands. It’s the perfect destination to hire a boat and explore. Other feature islands include Korčula, Brač and Mljet. Dreamy!

6. Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again!

The sequel to Mamma Mia was filmed on the Croatian island, Vis. It’s the perfect place to visit if you’re feeling like Donna Sheridan and wanting to escape. The film showcases the island’s beauty perfectly. Mamma Mia, how can I resist you?

7. It’s great value!

Croatia joined the EU in 2013, but its currency remains the kuna. Although it has increased in popularity, Croatia remains a generally good value destination. From food to accommodation, it’s possible to travel cheaply.

8. Chasing Waterfalls

Don’t go chasing waterfalls… or do, because Croatia has loads of them and they are breathtaking! Krka National Park and Plitvice Lakes National Park have some of the most popular and although they can get busy, the views are worth it.

9. Beaches

Croatia’s beaches are some of the most beautiful in Europe, including Zlatni Rat, which is one of the most famous in the world. Take me there, now!

10. There is a perfect mix of partying and history

There are ancient Roman sites such as the Amphitheatre in Pula and Diocletian’s Palace in Split, but also infamous party towns such as Hvar and Rab Town. Whether it’s culture you’re looking for or a place to party, Croatia has it all!

Image Sources

1

2

3

Copy edited by Chloe Jade Clarke

Eve Dodd

Nottingham '19

Student at the University of Nottingham, in my third year studying History. Doing my best to see the world!
Hey, I'm Chloe Jade Clarke. I studied at the University of Nottingham for a degree in English and Philosophy from 2016-2019. During my time here I started out in journalism as a reviewer for Her Campus Nottingham before being promoted to Campus Correspondent (editor-in-chief) in my third year. After graduation, I will be training for my News Journalism MA at Cardiff University. Here are a selection of articles that I've written over the past couple of years; I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them!