Zooming in on Zeeks: Meet David Surine ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Notre Dame Introduction:

Name: David “Zeeks” Surine

Year: Junior

Hometown: Reisterstown, MD (approximately 20 minutes from Baltimore)

Major: Electrical Engineering

Dorm: Fisher

Siblings: oldest of six; one brother and four sisters, including yours truly 

Why do they call you Zeeks?

Ha hah hah hah hahahaha. Suffice it to say, Fisher has a ritual during Frosh-O weekend in which freshman are bestowed names, which never have any real significance. As far as I understand, Zeeks is a term from the Cincinatti area that frat guys use to say something’s cool. Like in conversation, “Zeeks, man.” My name just happened to stick more than others, so everyone calls me Zeeks now.

Am I the only person on campus who calls you David?

Probably. A few teachers have tried. I gave up on using David sophomore year.

DJ Zeeks

How did you get into DJ-ing on campus? How did you learn to DJ?

I was messing around with it in high school, in my basement. I didn’t start DJ-ing at Notre Dame until my sophomore year. I used to blast music out of my dorm room window, when on a Tuesday (yes, Katie, I remember the exact day of the week), four girls came up to me to asked me to DJ for their event since their DJ fell through, and I said yes! I really liked it, and they had a good time, so I started DJ-ing regularly from then on.

How do you decide what songs/tracks to play? Do you plan ahead, or is it a split-second decision?

A little bit of both. I do have a big list that I tend to play at events, with a basic beginning, middle and end plan. However, I’ll pick songs spontaneously based on the crowd, requests, or special circumstance, like someone’s birthday.

Does your major in electrical engineering help with DJ-ing at all, or are the two not related?

Not really, although lots of people have asked me that.

What dances/events have you DJ-ed recently?

In the past weekend, I DJ-ed at Pangborn Formal and the BP Dome Dance. I also recently did PDub Formal and Flannel Formal.

When you’re not DJing, how do you spend your free time?

I try to get exercise, play video games, cruise the web, or listen/play music. I don’t watch a lot of TV or movies.

Alternate answer:

Feve.

Fun Facts:

Favorite ND event:

Fisher Regatta

North or South?

South. What’s North?

How do you Chipotle?

Burrito: chicken, cheese, lettuce, corn

Any special food lingo?

Pizza is za,” and bananas are “nas.” “Nas” is a staple word in my vocabulary.

What is your spirit animal?

Probably a honey badger, because honey badger don’t care

Pick three words to describe yourself.

How many words?

Tell us about your favorite ND memory.

It was probably this year, when I was able to sneak onto the field during a home football game with an usher pass. I got kicked off the field because I was dancing and cheering too much to not be noticed. Those were probably the greatest seven minutes of my life!

What are your plans for spring break?

I’m going to Panama City Beach, FL, with some friends from Fisher. I’m going to catch some rays and check out the local scene. It’s going to be an awesome time. I’m really looking forward to it!

Thanks for your time, Zeeks, and thanks for allowing me to use photos from your Facebook profile!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Source: 1

Images: 1, 24, 5, 6 courtesy of interviewee, 3 courtesy of the author

Katie Surine

Notre Dame

Katie is a senior (where did the time go???!!!) living in Lewis Hall. From Baltimore, MD, Katie is pursuing a double major in Vocal Music and Anthropology. Besides writing for HCND, she sings with Opera Notre Dame, choral groups, and she is a pianist for Lewis Hall weekly Mass and Lucenarium, or "Luce" for short. Other interests include baking, reading, traveling, composing, and all things Italian.