As You Wish Imports Sells Fair Trade Items on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As You Wish Imports has been supporting fair trade and education projects in Guatemala since 1990. At the moment, As You Wish features items from Guatemalea, Thailand, India, Bolivia, Peru and Laos. For the past 24 years, Lee Torrence has traveled around the world facilitating fair trade through the sale of beautiful jewelry, accessories, and the like, handmade by workers abroad. Furthermore, she spends about three or four months each year in Guatemala, usually just waiting to see where help is needed besides in education. She donates profits from As You Wish sales to help those who made the products as well as others in the workers’ communities. Each year, $2000 is donated to education efforts alone.

This week, Torrence brings As You Wish to Notre Dame’s LaFortune Student Center for the last time. She is transitioning her fair trade project to be primarily based in California and will not be touring to universities like Notre Dame any longer.

Torrence writes on her Facebook page, “Notre Dame is a very special school to me because I’ve spent so many weeks selling here! Back in the day, I sold 3 weeks a year here! I will miss the many students, faculty and staff whom I’ve become friends with over these 24 years. I’m very sad I won’t be seeing you again!”

So take advantage of the wonderful offerings of As You Wish as well as the accessibility of the sale being in LaFortune this week. Be sure to also like “As You Wish” Imports on Facebook to follow Torrence’s next step with this fantastic fair trade business. She hopes to transition to online sales and work with college clubs through fundraisers.

As You Wish will be selling in the LaFortune “Sorin Room” on the first floor, adjacent to the Main Lounge this week. Stop by when the Starbucks line is too long to handle or if you need a study break. Or just stop by because As You Wish sells amazing, unique gifts that you, and your family and friends, will enjoy for years to come. Items are also generously priced for a college student’s budget, so it’s a great option for some early Christmas shopping.

Check out some of the great items in this week’s “pop-up shop.”

Is your dorm room wall looking a little bare? What better way to spruce it up and make it feel a little homier than by adding a gorgeous tapestry?

There’s really no better universal gift for the Christmas season than a scarf. Thankfully, As You Wish offers an assortment of vibrant scarves warm enough for winter but also lively enough to transition into spring.

Put a ring on it! This year’s sale showcases an impressive array of high quality, sterling silver rings (for fingers and toes). Even better, there’s a great offering of Celtic-inspired designs, perfect for the ring finger of every Notre Dame lady.

These are just a few of the unique treasures you can find in the As You Wish Imports pop-up shop in LaFortune’s Sorin room. Take some time to explore all the well-crafted displays to discover the turtle earrings you’ve been dreaming about for years, or the beaded bracelet that will make brighten up your wrist when you’re up at typing away at your term paper. This week’s sale is truly a fantastic time to shop for special gifts for your loved ones, all the while understanding the good work your purchase will do for another in need.

Since 1990, Torrence has donated a percentage of her sales to the people she has known in Guatemala since 1990. Purchasing from As You Wish Imports ensures you’re supporting a great cause as well adding an item of special meaning to yours or another’s collection of belongings.

If you stop by be sure to say hi to Lee and tell her you read about As You Wish on HCND! She has lots of experiences with her work with As You Wish to share, and there’s also always a story behind each item.

Find “As You Wish” Imports on campus this week only:

December 3-6 (Tuesday – Friday)

11 am – 5 pm, 7:30-10pm (sometimes later if the pop-up shop is busy)

December 7th (Saturday)

11 am – 5 pm

Be sure to like As You Wish Imports on Facebook here to shop in the future!

Katie Fusco

Notre Dame

A senior English and American Studies double major at the University of Notre Dame, Katie is passionate about media, education, and public history.