Wellness > Health

The Workout Class You Need To Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Let’s be honest, working out can suck. Up until college, fitness was never a top priority of mine. I was a three-sport athlete in high school, went to countless SoulCycle classes, and even did my senior internship at a workout facility. Confusing right? I know what you’re thinking; if I never thought of fitness as a priority, why was I so involved in activities that included working out? Three words: the social aspect. It was about being a part of a team or community where for a few hours in the day we could forget about the stress of school work, or applying to colleges or who’s going to prom with who. This was what I really enjoyed and looked forward to – the fitness part was just a plus. 

When I got to college, this all changed. Here I was given countless opportunities to be social without the fitness side of things.  After freshman year (and… the freshman 15) I realized that something was missing. Now, before I continue, let me just say that I have never really enjoyed working out. Multiple times before run tests I would beg my teammates to knock me out so I wouldn’t have to do it (sadly, they all said no). HOWEVER, I missed the feeling that comes after working out. I wouldn’t exactly call it a rush of endorphins because half of the time after a workout (even now) I want curl up in a ball and just lay there. Nevertheless, it was more of an accomplished feeling, and that was the feeling I realized I was lacking. 

From then on, I knew what had to be done. So… I put on workout clothes, walked myself to Duncan Student Center, got on a treadmill, lifted some weights, did some ab workouts… and… nope. No sense of accomplishment. I tried this a few more times, hoping one day I’d find that feeling again, but it still felt like a chore, something I never looked forward to. However, one fateful day, I received a call from my sister, who used to play for the Michigan Women’s Lacrosse team (sorry, had to flex for her, love you Bianca), and she told me about a workout place called Orangetheory Fitness. It sounded intimidating, but I decided to try it anyway, and here’s why you should too. 

1. First class is FREE (we’re all ballin’ on a budget, aren’t we?). 

2. Memberships have a student discount!

3. Don’t be nervous for your first day – a staff member will welcome you and give you a tour around the studio to make sure you are comfortable with the equipment.

4. 60-minute workout splits time between the Treadmill, Rower and Weight Floor.

5. If you have an injury or restriction, you have the option to power walk on the treadmill or use a strider or bike!

6. Led by a MOTIVATIONAL trainer (shout out to all of you at Granger https://granger.orangetheoryfitness.com)!!!

7. Held accountable by the people taking the class with you! Can push yourself and the members around you.

8. Lastly, it doesn’t matter if you’re a marathon runner or have never worked out once in your life, EVERY level of fitness is welcome!

I have happily been going for over a year now. Are there times where I don’t feel like working out? Big yes, but I’ve never regretted the feeling I get after the workout is over. Orangetheory gave me the social aspect of fitness that I was looking for and an improved, healthier lifestyle. For me, it’s a time where I can forget about the stress of school and hang out with friends – the fitness aspect just a bonus. 

If anyone has any further questions after reading, just send me an email at tford6@nd.edu!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Photo 1

Tuesday Ford

Notre Dame '21

My name is Tuesday Ford and I'm a Political Science major with a minor in Middle Eastern studies at Notre Dame. I'm from a small town outside of Boston, MA. I love traveling, hanging with friends/family, world politics, everything to do with Boston sports (Tom Brady is GOAT) and I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus ND!