Winter 101: How to Survive Winter in the South Pole (oops I mean Bend)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Winter 2013-2014 at South Bend was unusually cold (average temperature 20.3 degrees Farenheit) and snowy (30.3 inches of snow just in January 2014). And there’s no telling whether this year will be the same, or colder! This article is for all the Californians and Hawaiians and Arizonians (anybody hailing from any place in perpetual-summer) who need a survival guide to especially cold winters.

Step 1: It’s all in how you dress!

My grandmother always used to say, “You can always take layers off, but you can’t put on what you didn’t bring.” Moral of the story: Wear layers! For example, you can wear thermal shirts under sweaters and leggings under jeans when going to class. In essence, you’re transforming a fall outfit into a winter one by adding insulation.

When facing the cold, I’d highly recommend a heavy down winter coat, some warm texting gloves, and a pair of winter boots with traction. There is an evil thing called black ice (icy patches on the sidewalk that are transparent and will make you slip and fall). If your shoes or boots have traction, you can brave the sidewalk fearlessly; but if the soles of your shoes are slippery, beware!

Step 2: Travel ~Avoid going outside if possible~

Take any and all shortcuts you can find. I know we’ve been taught not to take the easy way out, but here you are saving yourself from getting frostbite, not cheating the system. If you’re on your way to Stinson Remick, cut through DeBart and run across the sidewalk. And yes, take advantage of the couple of seconds to walk through LaFun instead of walking outside for that little stretch. Also, like the Scouts say, be prepared; bring hand warmers with you if you’re going skiing or playing in the snow. Finally, walk in a pack if possible because body heat does go a long away indeed!

Step 3: Recover from the Chill

When you arrive back at your humble abode, there are countless things you can do to warm up. First of all, if you are wet, put on dry clothes. If your back is cold, turn your hairdryer on stick it down the backside of your shirt. Do you have icicles for fingers? Heat up some soup or hot chocolate, and grip your hands around the mug for an instant thaw. If your whole body is chilled, consider sitting by the window on your heating vent while you study or work on your computer. In addition, you can throw on a hat and extra socks to keep in body heat, which often escapes from the extremities.

Step 4: Keeping Your Spirits High

There is a thing called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which is a certain marked drop in mood when there is less light and colder temperatures. Don’t get SAD; instead go to St. Liam’s and try out the light therapy room, which is designed to supplement you with the light that winter often lacks. There has been research shown that this extra lighting will ward off SAD, so add some light to your life!

And when all else fails, get in the Christmas spirit. Hey, at least your heart will be warm!

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images: 123

An avid writer since I learned to form complete sentences, I write off the cuff to entertain, to humor, and to inspire. As a freshman on the Notre Dame campus, I'm here to offer a fresh (no pun intended) perspective on college life and provide prevalent information on how to get into the collegiate scene.