self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

Why We Don’t Talk About Mental Health, But We Must

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Well duh, it’s TABOO. If you have a mental health diagnosis, then chances are you’ve been told that you just need to get over it because “we are in college” and “everybody is ‘stressed out.’” Then again, if you don’t have any diagnosed mental illnesses then can you “really relate” to all of the self-help posts that people retweet and put on Snapchat. 

Mental health is a real issue that a lot of students go through. The Active Minds group on campus tells us that 50% of us will experience a mental illness of some sort in our lifetime. This means that about 1,438 of us will be affected by mental health issues in our lives. We make this topic a taboo discussion when, really, it’s a reality for many. 

Society tells you that mental health issues are okay to talk about, but it doesn’t want you to let them bog you down. Our generation is socialized to learn that people can be hurt and it doesn’t have to be in a physical way. We are beginning to notice that some illnesses can’t be solved with Advil or cough syrup. Yet, college students, even kids here on Notre Dame’s campus, are still silently struggling through an issue that 50% of us will deal with in our lifetimes. 

40% of people that suffer from anxiety and depression don’t seek help because they don’t want to endure the stigma surrounding mental illnesses. We tell ourselves that mental health diagnoses are normal, but do we seriously believe that? Many don’t usually reach out to the kid in the dining hall that is eating alone and seems anxious. Many aren’t ready to hug the kid at the grotto who probably really needs it because life is hard and difficult to navigate. There are countless other examples of times that we don’t reach out to people who could be in need.

I know this seems like a gloomy article about the woes of mental illness, but I promise it’s not; well, as long as we can make a deal. Together we should all try to destroy the stigma of mental health issues that are plaguing our society. I may be really biased, but us Notre Dame students are special. We are smart, do well in our extracurricular activities and above all, we care about our community. We need to look out for each other, and to do this we should follow the Seven Things You Can Do to Reduce Stigma

The next thing we must do is reach out to each other. Communication is key in all aspects of life. Talk to a friend if you are in need. Also, notice when your friends aren’t acting the same as they have before. It is our responsibility to look out for others, especially because we would want them to do the same for us. 

two women talking at a table together work business casual
Pexels / Christina Morillo

The final thing that all of us could benefit from is truly beginning to love ourselves. Matthew 22:39 tells us that “Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” The issue with this sentiment is that we do just that. We talk down to ourselves and constantly tear apart any semblance of a positive self-image we once had. We love our neighbors the way we love ourselves: with fake love that does nothing positive for our feelings and emotions. If we can change the narrative and begin to fall in love with ourselves, then we can take a step in the right direction. We could potentially begin to love ourselves and our neighbors the way that we are supposed to in the eyes of God. 

So after all, I have not lost hope in our campus community. I think that by destigmatizing mental illnesses and reaching out to each other, we can foster something really special. We need to start with those of us who are not struggling to make this possible. But if we can make this deal and follow this plan, I think we may actually have a shot at this!

three women stand together outside. the one in the middle is throwing up a peace sign.
Omar Lopez | Unsplash

Indonesia Brown

Notre Dame '22

I am a political science and psychology major with a minor in journalism. I am originally from South Bend and am the 4th generation to live in my current house. I love all animals and I have a dog at home named Enzo.