Why I Loved “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

SPOILER ALERT! This article will be discussing ALL of the newest episodes of Gilmore Girls, including the ending. If you have not yet watched the episodes, take a six hour time out on this article and continue after you have finished.

I loved all of the original Gilmore Girls, and I felt that Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life was the perfect ending to the story.  Everything truly came full circle and, upon analysis, ended exactly how it should.

For Emily, the series ended with a newfound independence. Following Mr. Gilmore’s death, Emily lost her way, and the show was careful to emphasize how they had been happily married for fifty years. However, after some time, reflection, and therapy, Emily Gilmore is able to find herself. She leaves the DAR in a glorious moment of sass that had me cheering in my seat. She sells her home and buys a house by the ocean in Nantucket, a true mark of her new-found independence, since she had never made a major purchase before. The most memorable moment, however, was with Lorelai. In true Emily fashion, when Lorelai asks for a loan to expand her inn, Emily obtains a promise for her and Luke to visit for two weeks in the summer and a week at Christmas, bringing the series full circle.

In Lorelai’s case, the story ends with her marriage to the love of her life, Luke. Throughout the entire show, Luke has supported Lorelai and Rory through ups and downs, thick and thin, and with coffee. So, of course the show is only complete when we have attended Luke and Lorelai’s wedding in the gazebo of Stars Hollow.

Rory, however, is the character with the most controversial ending. Our final moment with Rory, and the final moment of the series, is spent sitting on the steps of the Stars Hollow gazebo with Lorelai finishing a bottle of champagne the morning after her night wedding. Rory turns to her mother with a nervous look on her face and says “Mom?”

“Yeah?” Lorelai responds, as she always does.  

“I’m pregnant.”

This ending was not what I thought I wanted when I began watching Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. However, upon reflection, this is exactly how the show needed to end. It has come full circle. Logan is Rory’s Christopher, the loving, but unpresent father to her child. And Jess will be her Luke, the man that she is meant to end up with, the one who “fits,” to use Lorelai’s word. I do not need an ending tied up in a nice neat bow, because the clues were there to tell me that it would end how I wanted it to. And besides, there is something nice in knowing that Amy Sherman-Palladino had this plan in the back of her mind and wrapped it up the way she always wanted to.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!.

Images 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Hello! My name is Nadia Tiy and I am a junior studying Russian and Education, Schooling, and Society. I am originally from a VERY small town in Minnesota, but I am happy to call Notre Dame my current home. I love all things involving books and coffee, so I can most often be found in Waddick's with a large coffee and Russian novel in hand. When I am not reading for my Russian lit classes, I am in DPAC stage managing, running (or walking) the lakes, binge watching Netflix with ice cream, or catching up with my friends (over coffee of course).