This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Legally Blonde is my favorite movie. Every single time I go home for a break and I get to pick the movie we watch for family movie night, I always try to pick Legally Blonde. It’s gotten to the point where I think my mom hid the DVD so that we couldn’t watch it anymore.

The first time my brother watched it with me, at the very beginning of the movie, he turned to me and said, “I thought you said you liked this movie, but everything she’s doing is for a boy!” To which I responded, “Be quiet and keep watching the movie.”

It’s true, that at the very beginning of the movie, Elle seems like a ditzy blonde girl who wants to follow the boy she loves all the way across the country to law school just to try to win him back. And while there’s nothing inherently wrong with that, it’s not exactly the role model you would expect for me to have. But as the movie continues, there are so many layers of Elle Woods that make her my role model and make her the perfect woman to look up to.

She knows what she wants and she will stop at nothing to get it.

She is so determined to get into Harvard Law School that she doesn’t give her advisor any back-up schools and works tirelessly to get in, even skipping some of her favorite events of the year to study and take practice LSAT exams.

She is trustworthy

Even once she gets Brooke’s alibi, she refuses to tell the rest of the legal team what it is because she gave Brooke her word that she wouldn’t tell anyone. She is a trustworthy and loyal friend who keeps her promises.

She is great at multitasking

Throughout the movie, we see Elle at the salon helping Paulette while also studying for her classes, or working for Callahan’s law firm while also making good grades in class. She is a great representation of how you can be smart and studious while also having fun and being yourself.

She’s not afraid to be herself

Even when everyone seemed to be laughing at her and making fun of her, questioning how she could have ever gotten into law school, she stayed true to herself, even wearing her signature color of pink to Brooke’s trial.

She knows her worth and what she deserves

Even though she went into law school for the sole purpose of following Warner, she eventually turns him down in search of a better relationship and better career goals. To quote my favorite line in the entire movie: “If I’m going to be a partner in a law firm by the time I’m thirty, I’m going to need a boyfriend who’s not a complete bonehead.”

She taught me to believe in myself

The end of the movie always leaves me feeling empowered and really good about myself; when she gives her graduation speech and says: “Most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself,” I always take that advice to heart.

Overall, Elle Woods is a feminist icon and the perfect role model to have, especially for college women who may be doubting themselves or might need a little push in the right direction. She’s true to herself and to her friends, and she works hard for what she gets. I watch Legally Blonde every time I need a confidence boost or a little empowering, and I suggest you do too!

Jane Hilger

Notre Dame '22

Jane is a junior English and Political Science double major. She is originally from Ellicott City, Maryland, and she used to live in Lyons Hall, but now she is a resident of Pangborn Hall. She is an avid reader, writer, and watcher of bad reality tv.