While You Were Out: In the News

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The week before any break is always stressful due to the crazy amount of work that teachers send out so you may not have had time to catch up on what’s been going on in the rest of the world. Fear no more because here’s a recap of what you’ve missed out on:

Around the World:

Flight 370

The search continues for Flight MH370. It has been six weeks now since it disappeared and there are no leads on its whereabouts. The search for the planes black box was unsuccessful so now drones are being submerged in the water, scanning the Indian Ocean’s bottom for traces of the plane. This will continue for 6 to 8 weeks in order to scan the entire search zone. If this is not successful, different tactics will be used to scan a wider area.

Ferry Sinks in South Korea

A ferry carrying around 480 people and traveling off the coast of South Korea sank earlier this week. It has been confirmed that 29 people died, and 174 have been rescued, leaving 270 missing. The cause of the accident is still unknown. An arrest warrant was issued today for the captain of the ferry. While it is unknown what he is being charged with, it is speculated that he could be charged with dereliction of duty and attempted murder (CNN). The search for the missing passengers goes on, but it has been difficult due to freezing temperatures and rough waters.

Gabriela Garcia Marquez Passes Away

The Nobel Prize-winning author of One Hundred Years of Solitude passed away yesterday at age 87. Originally from Columbia, he has been called the most significant Spanish-language author since Miguel de Cervantes, author of Don Quixote. He died in at his home in Mexico City and will be greatly missed.

Entertainment:

MTV Movie Awards

MTV hosted the 2014 MTV Movie Awards this past Sunday, April 13. Winners included Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis, Channing Tatum, Will Poulter, and many others. The highlight however was Zac Efron winning Best Shirtless Performance in That Awkward Moment. While he was accepting his award, Rita Ora ripped his shirt off, and Zac, knowing what the fans wanted, completely took it off and left us drooling.

For more colliegette journalism, follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

Sources 1, 2, 3

Photos 1, 2

Hi! I'm currently a sophomore at ND. I'm originally from Puerto Rico where the sun shines all year long and the beach is never more than 10 minutes away. I'm still kind of undecided as to what my future plans are but I'm sure I'll find those along the way. During my free time I love to chill with Netflix, read, or just hang with my friends.