What’s in the Bag: #HCSurvivalKit Edition

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It was definitely rough leaving sunny California for the infamous 46556 this fall. As a senior, this is a year of lasts for me: last football season, last sylly week, last time DARTing (or is it NOVOing?), and of course my last time unpacking the Her Campus Fall Back-to-School Survival Kit.

As always, our Her Campus BTS Survival Kit was stuffed with essentials for starting the year off right. We probably ate too much Chipotle with our BOGO cards and went shopping at Marshalls way too much, but it all made coming back to South Bend all the more exciting (if not more bearable).

However, and extra part of our Survival Kit made sharing it so much more easy with the #GettingBackGivingBack Challenge and the opportunity to share our survival kits with our awesome readers and writers!

The Chelsea tote from MZ Wallace has to be my favorite part of the kit. This black tote carries everything necessary to get through a school day when living off campus. Since I can’t easily run home during class breaks, I throw everything I need for the day into my MZ Wallace bag and go. It even fits my laptop, Nalgene, books for the day, AND gym clothes if I try hard enough. Check it out above and visit their website for more campus essentials. 

Bag Essentials:

TRESemmé Perfectly (Un)done

Considering the number of times I’ve walked into class with soaking wet hair after getting stuck in torrential downpours, the TRESemmé Perfectly (Un)done Sea Salt Spray and Wave Creation Sea Foam give me my signature beach waves without even stopping by the beach. Usually, wave mousse makes my hair ~crunchy~ and greasy looking, but the TRESemmé spray works even when my hair is wet!

Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Stick

My happy little Palmer’s Cocoa Butter family.

I’m obsessed with Palmer’s Cocoa Butter already (read: I never DON’T have a bottle in my bag at any given time), so the on the go Swivel Stick doubles as hand lotion AND lip balm. I’m most excited to use this in the dead of winter when -30 degree wind chill will definitely require some serious moisture. 

NYC City Proof 24Hour Waterproof Eyeshadow

#GettingBackGivingBack Challege!

Ignore the huge chunk of cheese I’m nibbling on in that picture—or covet it, because it was yummy. But, NYC Color 24Hour Waterproof Eyeshadow and Eye Primer upped my USC vs. ND Game Day look and helped me “step out of my comfort zone” with some crazy eyeliner! The jumbo applicator made it fast and easy to apply and the fun colors went perfect with my blue and gold outfit. Fortunately, it was a pretty dry game, so I didn’t get to test out the waterproof part of it. But hopefully, Wake Forest is a little more moist and will really let me test out this eyeshadow—that or the sweaty Feve dance floor will be the true test.

5 Hour Energy

Get PUMPED up with 5 Hour Energy and maybe some Drake Charged Up blasting through these cool 5-Hour Energy headphones? The berry flavor makes chugging these better than tequila shots at Feve (how many times can I reference Feve in one post?).

Chipotle BOGO Cards

I’m not exactly proud to admit this, but I lived off Chipotle for a week last month, so these BOGO cards were the perfect addition to my Chipotle addiction. Chipotle, we’re going to have to ask you not to send any more of these, because the Chipotle burrito makers know my order by heart already (Just kidding, please send more!!). Also, perfect for post-Feve recovery on Friday’s.

My Social Canvas

Live. Love. Learn. Repeat. I’m always looking for cute stickers to add to my laptop, and with My Social Canvas, you can make your own stickers and apparel with an important message. This NYC company lets entrepreneurs design and create their own apparel with a message. Here’s a quip from their site: “Most recently #Design4HerEducation included a panel of high profile judges in fashion, entertainment, and philanthropy, including Christy Turlington Burns, supermodel and Founder of Every Mother Counts, fashion icon and UNICEF Ambassador, Dayle Haddon, Desiree Gruber, Producer for the hit show Project Runway, Anne Fulenwider, Editor in Chief of Marie Claire Magazine, and Erin Flaherty Beauty & Health Director of Marie Claire, Gossip Girl actress and women’s advocate Kelly Rutherford, and fashion designer Catherine Malandrino.”

She’s the First, No Ceilings Project, #BakeaChange

Speaking of social justice, She’s The First, The No Ceilings Project, and Actually She Can are giving a voice to women in all fields. Actually She Can is working to call women to action. The Step Up Your Game pamphlet give awesome tips for sticky situation: how to “Kill the Job Interview,” “Ace the First Date,” “Survive the Family Holiday,” and other situations we all have to face but are never sure how to approach them.

The No Ceilings: The Full Participation Project is part of the Clinton Foundation and encourages women to “get there together.” The Project give guidelines on their 30-Day Challenge, which includes being a mentor to others, interview a strong community leader who fights for gender equality, and join student government and make a difference.

She’s the First is a familiar name at Notre Dame and Her Campus. This time around their #BakeaChange Challenge gives directions on how to bake tie-dye cupcakes. We’re excited to give them a try and work with Notre Dame’s She’s the First Chapter for the Tie-Dye Cupcake Challenge taking place October 11 to November 1! YUM!

I wasn’t exactly impressed with the taste, but the Cold-Eeze Quick Melts, definitely got the job done when I felt the sniffles coming on. Just pop one in your mouth and let it do the work. I actually needed these pretty quickly after coming to ND just because of the rampant germs running around campus. With their additional $3 off coupons, I’ll definitely keep stocked up on these throughout South Bend’s winter.

Zing Zero Calorie Sweetener 

Stevia is the new alternative sweetener. With all the research coming out in opposition to artificial sweeteners,  Zing is the perfect alternative and it’s made out of 100% real ingredients. Use it in coffee, baking, and on your favorite fruits for the perfect balance of sweetness without that artificial aftertaste. 

Martha Stewart Craft Sticks

Martha came through with the glitter pens and paints. I love crafts, and can’t wait to test out these paints on some DIY crafts for my apartment. And with the coupons she sent out way, we can stock up on even more crafts supplies. Thanks, Martha!

Every Day, We Were Liars Book Previews

John Green loves E. Lockhart’s We Were Liars, so it must be good, right?

Here’s quip for both previews:

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from New York Times bestselling author, National Book Award finalist, and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. Read it.

In Every Day readers meet A, a teen who wakes up every morning in a different body, living a different life. It’s all fine until A meets Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone to love — day in, day out, day after day. Every Day is a New York Times bestseller by author David Levithan.”

They’ve got us hooked!

I can’t wait to see what our next survival kit entails. Thanks for all the goodies, HC!

XOXO, HCND

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

All images provided by author.

Kat L

Notre Dame

Katrina Linden is an American Studies and Latino Studies Double Major. When she's not drinking coffee or sleeping, she's running HCND with her co-CC, assissting the director of Undergraduate Studies at the Institute for Latino Studies, or pretending to work at NDH. Message her at katrinalinden@hercampus.com if you're interested in writing for HCND.