What Every Collegiette Needs to Survive this Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As the school year approaches, countless Collegiettes across the globe are starting to gather their belongings for another hectic move-in day. We will undoubtedly be packing the essentials, from our beloved laptops to that extra pair of sweats. However, there is one thing that too many of us may forget to bring to campus: coloring books.

Now, before the masses click out of this article in disappointment, I urge you to hear (well, read) me out. It is no surprise that stress is one of the most common — if not the most common — things to plague college students every year. A study shows that eighty percent of college students feel stressed on a daily basis. A combination of scholarly expectations and non-academic obligations can make most of us wish we were back in stress-free kindergarten.

While it’s not possible to physically return to our 5-year-old selves (physics majors, I’m looking at you to solve this), coloring books will undoubtedly help you unwind after a day of classes and work.

Think about it: coloring requires little mental exertion, yet unlike binge-watching Netflix (if you haven’t done this, you’re lying), coloring has something to show as a result of your low-stress effort. Since coloring pages range from complex designs to the classic Disney Princesses, you will have plenty of ways to utilize your pictures, post-coloring:

1.  Get productive

Procrastination gets even the best of us at times, but coloring books can actually be an incentive to get back to studying. Try coloring during your study breaks, or better yet, listen to recorded lectures while you color. That way, you can relax and squeeze in precious study time simultaneously.

2.  Decorate your dorm

Is your space feeling a bit drab lately? No problem! Just rip out your favorite designs and hang them up on your walls with twine and clips, or washi-tape frames. Alternatively, you could stack all of your coloring books to make a low-cost nightstand. Your creativity does not have to end after you lift the crayon from the page. Turn your stress-relief into unique dorm decor!

3.  Help the animals

Are you an animal lover? Then you’ll love to know that the Human Society often accepts donations of shredded paper as bedding and litter box-filler for your favorite furry friends. Consider shredding your pictures for a worthy cause. You will rest easy knowing that an adorable puppy is sleeping on your colored creations.

4.  Give your creations to others

This article clearly demonstrates the realities of Christmas shopping as a Collegiette. To save yourself time and money, consider gifting your best Anna and Elsa colored pages to your Frozen-obsessed younger cousin, or use the pages as cheap, yet fun wrapping paper. You will de-stress and prep for the holiday season at the same time!

While whipping out coloring books may seem a bit childish, I am convinced our younger selves were on to something. Coloring is fun, relaxing, and can be put to good use. When you pack everything for the amazing year to come (Her Campus has a list if you don’t know what to bring), don’t forget your ultimate weapon for surviving the year: coloring books and a 120-pack (go big or go home) of crayons.

Happy coloring!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.comor Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Sources: 1

Images: 12345

¡Hola! I'm Victoria Erdel, a sophomore Sociology major and TESOL minor at the University of Notre Dame. I've lived in Portugal and Indiana, and I occasionally visit my family in Ecuador. I can't wait to expand my interests in college. I enjoy writing (obviously), reading, and eating.  Go Irish!