This Week, May 12: 5 Fitness Trends I Adore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

1. Ab Ripper X P90X Part 1 

The Best Ab Workout You’ll Ever Find

This has been my every-other-day ab workout for the past month, and the results are in! This video is part 1 of 2 in the P90X Ab Ripper X series, and I’m not kidding when I say that it’s challenging. You feel your abdominals working through the entire video, and the demanding pace may even make you break a sweat after just doing abs! If you survive Part 1, try Part 2! You’ll be bikini-ready in no time.

2. Knotted Hair Ties

These little gems are the secret to kink-less hair post-workout (or anytime!) They also add a touch of cuteness and pop of color to your workout ensemble. The ties pictured above are from Anthropologie, but similar ones can be found almost anywhere (think Sephora or Target.) If you’re crafty, you can even make your own!

3. A Good Run around the Lakes

Enjoy every last minute you have on Notre Dame’s beautiful campus before you head off to your respective jobs, internships and homes for the summer. Try going just before nightfall, when the lights from campus sparkle and twinkle on the water’s surface or early in the morning to clear your head before your last exams or before you pack your bags. Make sure, however, that you go with a friend if it’s dark or super early. Go at a pace that allows you to enjoy those few minutes of you-time. 

4. New Favorite Smoothie Recipe

• 1 frozen banana
  • ½ cup blueberries
  • ½ cup raspberries
  • ½ cup almond milk
  • 2 dates
  • a pinch of cinnamon

Adapted from deliciouslyella.com, this smoothie tops my list of favorites. Blend all the ingredients for the most delicious, beautiful, mulberry-colored smoothie you’ll ever find.

5. Love Your Feet

In addition to making your toes look pretty by booking that long-awaited pedicure, give the soles of your feet some love. Runners especially will love these tricks. Sit or stand while placing a tennis ball under the arch of your foot. Press down and move your foot back and forth. Roll the ball along your arch or where ever feels best to alleviate soreness. If your feet are swollen and tired after a run, fill a water bottle with half ice and half cold water. Place the bottle on top of a towel on the floor and roll the bottle back and forth under your foot and along your arch for icy relief! 

Photo 1, 2

Ayla Kinney

Notre Dame '13

.
Katie Fusco

Notre Dame

A senior English and American Studies double major at the University of Notre Dame, Katie is passionate about media, education, and public history.