This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Looking for something novel to do this Valentine’s Day? Why not watch an opera? Opera is deeply passionate, and many operas center around a heartfelt love story intensified by dramatic music and acting. You don’t even have to go outside the house/dorm; there are several productions on YouTube, plus specialized Netflix-type services available for opera-watching (I like Met On Demand- the filming is super well done, and the productions are BEAUTIFUL). So basically, it’s like watching rom-coms with your special someone, plus tons of gorgeous singing.

Carmen (Bizet)

One of the most famous operas ever, Carmen is about a super steamy, passionate romance between a Spanish soldier, Don Jose, and the beautiful gypsy Carmen (possibly the greatest mezzo-soprano role ever), who convinces him to leave everything behind for her. Eventually she gets bored of him, but he can’t let go of her, so he stabs her at the end of the opera. If you’re up for a trip to Chicago, the Lyric Opera is currently showing Carmen from Feb 11- Mar. 25.

La Boheme (Puccini)

Also the basis for the popular musical Rent, La Boheme is about poor artists in Paris, France, mainly about the playwright Rodolfo and his girlfriend Mimi. They spend several happy months together, but, unfortunately, she dies from consumption. Puccini’s music is lush and deeply moving: I highly recommend many of his operas for a Valentine’s Day watch!

Rusalka (Dvorak)

I primarily include this opera because The Metropolitan Opera will be broadcasting a beautiful, colorful production on Feb. 25 in movie theaters (including Browning in DPAC). Also, it’s the Czech version of The Little Mermaid! Rusalka (literally, “water nymph”) trades her voice for legs to be with a human prince, but is ultimately rejected by the prince. She is forsaken to a cursed existence as a price for her failure to be with him (sorry guys, the OG fairytale isn’t a happy one).

Of course, maybe you don’t watch to watch a story in which main characters die at the end (as is often the case in opera). Not to worry, there are several romantic operas with happy endings!

L’elisir d’Amore (Donizetti)

This opera is much more of a romantic comedy! Nemorino is desperate to win Adina’s affections, so he purchases “l’elisir d’amore” (elixir of love), not knowing he’s just drinking champagne. Nemorino gets extremely drunk, yet all the local women are now all over him! (Unknown to him, he just inherited a ton of $$$). Adina’s a land-owning woman with no need to gold-dig, but her irritation with the other’s attempts to wed him makes her realize her own feelings for Nemorino, and the two end up together at the end of the opera.

La Cenerentola (Rossini)

This is Rossini’s version of Cinderella, with several differences. Mainly, the prince pulls a “prince/pauper” move with his valet in order to make sure his bride-to-be loves him for himself, and not for his wealth. Her wicked stepsisters fail the test, but Cenerentola (Cinderella) denies the “prince” in order to be with the “valet”, before finding out she loved the prince all along.

Iolanta (Tchaikovsky)

This is a Russian fairytale about a blind princess whose sight is restored because of her true love for her princely suitor. Rich, moving, romantic music is Tchaikovsky’s specialty, probably explaining why he was so successful with ballet music as well (like Swan Lake!) It sounds like the equivalent of eating gourmet, creamy Valentine’s Day chocolate.

There are several, several more I didn’t list that would be great choices for Valentine’s Day! Some of the composers listed (esp. Puccini) are goldmines for romantic opera. Try opera this year- you might love it!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Sources: 1, 2

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Katie Surine

Notre Dame

Katie is a senior (where did the time go???!!!) living in Lewis Hall. From Baltimore, MD, Katie is pursuing a double major in Vocal Music and Anthropology. Besides writing for HCND, she sings with Opera Notre Dame, choral groups, and she is a pianist for Lewis Hall weekly Mass and Lucenarium, or "Luce" for short. Other interests include baking, reading, traveling, composing, and all things Italian.