This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Four years ago, I never would have pictured this coming 2020 Presidential election to be as volatile as it is. Social justice, economic and climate change policies are only a few issues that will be decided by the next Commander-in-Chief, so a vote in this election is a vote indicating how you want these issues to be decided for the next four years. The first debate of the season last week was evidence that the Republican and Democratic parties may never fully accept the other, no matter who wins the election this November.  

black iPhone 4 on a table
Photo by dole777 from Unsplash

Take one look at any of your social media accounts right now, and I guarantee you will immediately see someone expressing their political opinion. Now, I don’t think this is a bad thing. As the next generation, we have the responsibility to educate ourselves in order to make a more informed choice for our futures. Social media is the first step to explaining hot-button topics that everyone should be aware of before checking the boxes on their ballots. So many people are already using social media, and there’s easy access to important information others find and share on their accounts. So, if everyone is talking about politics right now, shouldn’t we be interested in what they have to say?

People standing inside of blue material voter polls
Photo by Morning Brew from Unsplash

Exercise the rights you’ve been given! What’s the point of being able to vote if you aren’t going to do it? We were given the right to vote because our founding fathers believed people should have a say in what their futures are going to look like. This hasn’t changed over the past few centuries that we’ve been a nation. Do your civic duty, and tell our government what you want the country to look like with your vote. You won’t regret sending your ballot in, but you might regret not requesting one at all. 

Some people say that they don’t need to register to vote, because they live in a state that always votes one way or another. I’m from Ohio–a swing state–so this argument surprised me a bit when I first heard it. Still, I get it. When everyone around you votes the same, your vote would seem to matter less. However, I think the popular vote matters. While it may not determine who will become the next president, the results of the popular vote tell us what America wants. Even if one t candidate wins the popular vote after another wins the electoral vote, I believe this is still demonstrative of how the country would like their policies to be constructed. 

Everyone deserves to have their voices heard–no matter how conservative or liberal they are. This upcoming election is one of the few times in our life where we get a say in how history will go for the next four years. Take advantage of this opportunity! Be a part of an event that will be something your kids will learn about in school, and make sure you register to vote and request your mail-in ballots. Vote! Vote! Vote!!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Sophia Michetti

Notre Dame '23

Hi there! My name is Sophia Michetti, and I come from the epitome of the flatlands: Toledo, Ohio. I am majoring in English and Global Affairs. When I'm not spending my nights in Farley Hall with my roommates, I'm playing the piccolo in the Fighting Irish Marching Band! During my free-time, I enjoy reading and critically analyzing movies and television shows for absolutely no practical reason. I love having barbecues and bonfires with my family and friends, and yes, I do listen to country music. I'm ecstatic about having the opportunity to write for Her Campus, and I hope you have fun reading my articles :).