Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Valentine’s Week: 5 Love Languages You Need to Know Before Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but as we all know the dreaded/highly anticipated Valentine’s day is approaching almost too quickly (I know I did a double-take when I saw aisles of red in the grocery store starting the first week of January).

But whether you’re looking for gifts for your significant other or for your galentines, think again.  Knowing a person well means knowing their love languages and what you might like probably won’t be what they like. This quiz will tell you exactly what you should be looking for and the 5 types of love languages people value.

Words of Affirmation

Some people are suckers for sweet talk, and who can blame them? But it’s more than that—praise and encouragement are their main sources of reinforcement and really build their confidence in themselves. Good morning texts and unexpected compliments always hit. A well thought-out, meaningful card for Valentines will be worth more than anything that comes with it.  A few choice words can go a long way.

Acts of Service

It’s all about the sacrifices you make to show them how much you really care. Take time to help them do everyday things to ease their stress, from little things (running their errands or cooking a meal) to harder ones (changing your own schedule to work around theirs). Valentine’s Day is your opportunity to perform a special gesture. One caveat: if you make a promise, keep it. These people take commitments to heart.

Receiving Gifts

Who doesn’t love a good surprise wrapped in a neat bow? I’m not saying that nothing less than Tiffany blue will make them happy (though it sure wouldn’t hurt). But for them, well-picked gifts reflect the extent of the care. Pay attention to get to know their favorite brand of watches, or go the sentimental route by making a little something out of a shared inside joke.

Physical Touch

Hugs, flirty nudges, hand-holding, kissing, you name it. Physical interaction and body language have always been some of the most obvious signs of affection and outward forms of display can instantly fast-track intimacy. Pretty straightforward application to Valentine’s day—we all know those wonderful humans who give out really good hugs. Be that person.

Quality Time

Finally, where are my people at? Often times the best gift is full, undivided attention. Relationships strengthen from bonding; just being around a person—not necessarily talking the entire time—generally makes people more comfortable and attracted to another. Setting apart time in your busy day to spend time with them, and only them, will be noticed and taken to heart. This week, be available and willing. Plan a one-on-one date, whether it be a nice dinner or spontaneous day trip to show where your priorities lie.

Recognizing love languages significantly helps relationships by unraveling a deeper understanding of and improving the communication between yourself and others. The main takeaway: the emotional value of gestures varies by each individual. Although two people may value each other, there needs to be an understanding of how you show your appreciation and making sure it is well received. So the next time you are deciding what to gift your loved one this Valentine’s, reconsider swapping out that generic box of Godivas for a night binge-watching The Bachelor together. 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Keila Astono

Notre Dame '23

Keila is a first-year studying Political Science and Digital Marketing at Notre Dame. At this moment, she is probably dreaming about California sunsets, craving an acai bowl, and planning the next travel adventure.