lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Valentine’s Dates with the Boy and the Besties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Valentine’s Day is next week! February is certainly flying by, but Cupid’s holiday can stir up mixed emotions. If you’re dating someone, you’re probably looking forward to a fun date with flowers. Or maybe you’re hoping your latest flirtation asks you to be his Valentine. You may even have a fun movie night planned with your girls filled with wine, chocolate and Disney movies.  Regardless of who you’re spending February 14 with, here are a few “date” ideas for your night.

1.  Go out to dinner.

This is great with your boyfriend or your besties. You can go out for something nice and fancy like Tippecanoe or do something more casual like The Mark or Evil Czech.

2.  Get takeout.

This probably doesn’t sound romantic, but if you aren’t into crowds this is a great option. You can save your fun night out for Friday and just get the deliveryman to bring your pizza or Chinese. My boyfriend and I are big fans of going out for a nice meal near but not on Valentine’s Day and picking up J. W. Chens the night of (I have also done this with my roomies and it’s a blast).

3.  Have a movie night.

If you want to go out, check out what’s playing in theatres. You can always check out Netflix for your favorite flicks. There are plenty of Rom-Coms for snuggling or chick flicks if you want to laugh with your lovelies.

4.  Go bowling.

This may not sound super fun, but I promise it’s a blast. You always go to Strikes and Spares or if you don’t mind going a bit further Chippewa Bowl has a bar in it. My boyfriend and I went last year with my roommate and our friend and it was a blast. The manager was bartending and he made our well drinks with good liquor. Unsurprisingly, our games started to shift with our booze consumption.

5.  Hit up a bar.

Valentine’s Day is on Saturday this year, why not hit up your favorite bar or go to a friend’s for drinks. If you’d like to start celebrating early, Feve is once again doing free cover with a picture of your ex (those pictures are finally worth something again). Finni’s (Finnie’s, Finny’s…however you want to spell it) has all been known to have champagne around this lovely holiday, so that’s another good bet around Valentine’s Day.

6.  Host a wine, cheese, and chocolate soiree.

This is definitely a better idea for a night with the girls, but it’s always a fantastic evening. Have everyone bring a different cheese or bottle of wine and enjoy the variety. If you’re 21 or older, check out Wine Crush Wednesday with Barefoot Bubbly at the Morris Inn on Wednesday February 11 at 9:00pm. Register for the event here

7.  Go to a hockey game.

Notre Dame is playing Providence on Friday night at 7:35pm and 8:05pm on Saturday. It’s a great free option to keep yourself occupied and if your boyfriend or guy friends are sports fans, this may be right up their alley.

8.  See a Shakespeare play.

The Actors from the London Stage are performing Macbeth at Washington at 7:30pm on February 11, 12, and 13 (Wednesday through Friday). Macbeth may not be a happy romance, but there’s plenty of action and AFTL always put on an engaging and entertaining production.

9. Have a Pinterest night.

I personally love being crafty and Valentine’s is a great time to try out a new recipe or DIY decorations. You and your friends can get together and make Valentine’s or maybe create a new piece of wall art for your room. Cooking and baking with friends can also be a blast. Why not try out that new pasta recipe you’ve been eyeing or attempt to make that gorgeous berry torte you pinned a few weeks ago.

10.  Catch up with your besties.

Valentine’s Day is about all kinds of love. If you’re feeling kind of bummed, why not set up a skype date with one of your best friends from home. It’s a great opportunity to catch up and it’s always nice to have someone tell you that you’re wonderful. If you’ve been busy with school, you can even make plans to see someone on campus that you haven’t seen much yet this semester. No matter what you do, have fun and be happy!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Image: 1, 2, 3 Author’s, 4, 5, 6

Maria Fahs

Notre Dame

Maria is finishing her Masters in English at Notre Dame. She has read many good books and several bad books, but she usually tries not to finish those. Her current favorites are: 1984, The Book Thief, The Tragedy Paper, Code Name Verity, Dr. Copernicus, I Am the Messenger, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and of course, Harry Potter. She is writing her second thesis on Harry Potter, exploring notions of authorship and reader agency in the digital age. She even managed to write her Capstone on British Children's Literature and designed her own Directed Readings Course on Notre Dame history during undergrad. Her favorite way to read is with a mug of tea and scented candles. When she doesn't have her nose stuck in a book, she can be found binging on the BBC (Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Merlin [RIP]). Her favorite color is purple, she studied abroad in London, and she enjoys being an amateur painter. She harbors a not-so-secret dream of one day writing a children's book, but until then, she is likely to be found reading them and writing letters whenever she gets a chance. She hopes to teach English or work in a university sharing her love of education.