Uplifting and Educational: Ologies is Getting Me Through Tough Times

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’ve never been someone who listens to podcasts. This is not only because I’m a little music obsessed, but also because I had no idea what was out there in the podcast universe. I used to have this vision of podcasts being middle-aged white men sitting around talking about politics and the news, and I thought I could never relate to something like that. Throughout college, I met more and more people who followed their favorite podcasts religiously, and my opinion of them softened; however, I didn’t fall in love with my own until recently. 

phone, headphones, and coffee with foam art
Juja Han on Unsplash

Early this semester, feelings of anxiety and apprehension were building as I waited for graduate school decisions. Usually, I turn to exercise to relieve stress; but this time around, it didn’t feel like enough. I was emotionally exhausted and I felt that I needed a new approach. I started watching comedy specials on Netflix, which lifted my mood considerably. I went in search of a comedic podcast, but I had no idea where to start. I shifted my focus to finding one on positivity and strategies to improve my mental health. Both searches were fruitless; I couldn’t find anything I wanted to listen to. I decided to try one last subject—one I’d kind of been trying to escape from: Science. And then I stumbled upon Ologies with Alie Ward. 

Alie, affectionately “Dad Ward” to Ologies listeners, is a writer and science communicator who works to bring science to the world through television and her passion project, Ologies. Each episode, Ward interviews an “Ologist”, or an expert in their field. Her guests aren’t all formally trained scientists, which I love. Some are self-taught, some have on the job training, some have advanced degrees. They are diverse and enthusiastic, brilliant and personable. The podcast is honest, unabashed and explores not only the science but also political, social and personal issues. 

Ward digs into each topic with excitement and humor. She makes even the most seemingly obscure subjects (Hagfishology, anyone? Yes, it’s a real word) relatable and enthralling. No matter how much I think I won’t be interested in a subject, I’m always deeply invested by the end. Her asides add interesting tidbits or explain scientific concepts in accessible ways.

You don’t have to be a scientist to fall in love with this podcast and its quirky, lovable and relatable host. Her advice, also the show’s tagline, “Ask smart people stupid questions,” is inspiring to me as I ready myself to begin grad school and start becoming my own kind of ologist. This podcast has taught me weird and awesome things, widened my perspective of the world, brightened my gloomiest days and has reminded me of the joy that brought me to do what I love in the first place. Thanks Alie, and thanks smart people for answering stupid questions with joy and compassion. 

Hero image appropriate for article on Unhealthy Relatioships - image of a question mark
Photo by Emily Morter on Unsplash

I listen to Ologies on Spotify, but you can find it on iTunes or wherever else you get podcasts. I’ve been meaning to write a review for a long time, and always imagine Alie will read it on air as she does with one at the beginning of each episode, but I can never figure out how to express just how much Ologies has meant to me. I do, however, recommend it to family and friends incessantly. Consider this my five-star review. You can find Ologies merch here.

Reina Koran

Notre Dame '20

I'm a junior biochemistry major at the University of Notre Dame. I'm currently working on an undergraduate research project in molecular genetics and regeneration, which I'd love to continue studying in graduate school. Another very rewarding activity I participate in is college advising for high achieving low income high school students. Addtionally, I love playing soccer, which I do at the club level for my university, music, movies (quoting and watching them), and I like to draw.