This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I can’t believe how quickly the first half of the fall semester flew by. Settling into Notre Dame has been a blast and with each passing day, I’m starting to feel more comfortable calling this incredible place my new home. That being said, there are several things I miss about my hometown that I feel I’ve taken for granted. As I look ahead to the next few weeks, I’ve started to make a to-do list of things I want to make sure I do when I get back for fall break. While most of my to-dos apply to making the most of your time at home, there are so many things you can do to make this fall break a happy and productive one, whether in South Bend or elsewhere.

Appointments

If you’re anything like me, your hair and eyebrows need some serious attention! Take the time off as an opportunity for some self-grooming. Schedule a haircut, eyebrow wax and any other appointments like facials or massages that will help you feel refreshed during your time off. If a doctor’s appointment is necessary, make time for that too.

Time with family

For Notre Dame students in general, family is everything; but they gain an unprecedented level of importance when you don’t get to see them as frequently. I’m already envisioning the quality time with my mom, dad, sister and dog. I also can’t wait to see my Nonna again and have been dreaming of her homemade pasta and sauce.

Time with friends

This one’s slightly more of a gamble since fall breaks don’t always line up. In my case, several of my best friends have break the week earlier, but I still have a day or two of overlap with a few and I cannot wait to see them again. Make the most of this precious time! 

Stock up on clothes

Despite being from the Northeast, I still feel brutally unprepared for my first winter in the Bend. I need to make sure to get a few dependable pairs of classic winter staples like jeans, leggings and sweaters. 

Drive around

If there’s one thing I miss, it’s driving. For me, driving was a form of freedom and catharsis. When I’m back, I look forward to driving around with no real destination in mind.

Visit old favorite spots

As many amazing places as there are on and around campus to get some work done or grab a coffee, I didn’t realize how much I would miss certain spots until they weren’t a short stroll, drive or even train ride away anymore. If you find yourself back in town for break, go back to that coffee shop where you used to do your homework. Visit the city near your hometown. Order food from your favorite restaurant. Apply this general concept to any place or activity that means something to you. 

In the end, how you spend your break is all up to you! I know that I’m going to do my best to accomplish all of these tasks during mine. Wishing all readers a relaxing and rewarding mid-term break.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Callie Whelan

Notre Dame '23

Callie is a first-year International Economics/French major and Computing & Digital Technologies minor at Notre Dame originally from Ridgefield, Connecticut. In her limited free time, Callie loves to paint, draw, read, force herself to work out, and spend time with friends and family. She loves mac and cheese, pastel colors, mocking both sides of the political aisle, John Mulaney, and proper grammar.