TwerKing: Currancé

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

You may remember him from his luciously long dreadlocks from years passed, or his multiple performances in various Notre Dame productions, or maybe even dancing at Michiana’s hottest night club, Club Fever. If you have not encountered Notre Dame’s most infamous, now’s your chance to meet this week’s Campus Celebrity: Curran Cross.

The Basics

Name: Curran Cross. (Don’t try to give me a nickname. I’ll cut you.)

Weirdest mispellings of your name: Oh, Jesus … Kuhrohn, Qu’ran, K’ron, among many, MANY others

Major: French and History, double major with a minor in European Studies. History and European Studies both have concentrations in France. So, all France all the time.

Dorm: Now, off-campus. Previously, mostly Morrissey with a bit of Sorin and Steds sprinkled in there.

Hometown: Oak Park, MI, previously. Now, Baldwin, MI (Unfortunately).

Extracurricular Activities: Twerking, smizing, dancing, giving really judgmental side-eye.

Three words that describe you: Too damn shady.

Favorite adult drink: Mixed fireball and rumchata. Had it for the first time at my 21.5st birthday party and my life has not been the same since.

All-time biggest role-model: My mother. So, so clichéd, but so, so true. A talented model, an intelligent woman, imbued with strength and grace and kindness. She flawless.

Favorite Holiday: Does my birthday count?

Baby Curran, funny since birth.

TwerKING

What does your typical Friday night look like?

Well, as of now, it consists of me leaving my one job at Einstein’s to go to the library and work at my other job. But during the school year, it generally involves a gamut of sordid goings-on. Basically feeling my college kid-ness to the MAX.

What are your top five songs on your turn up playlist?

Ooh. This is a hard one. As of right now:

1. “I Know There’s Gonna Be (Good Times)” by Jamie xx

2. “Amen” by Meek Mill

3. “Bad Bitch” by French Montana

4. “Work” by Ciara

5. “Tight Skirt” by Samantha J.

Top five songs on your turn down playlist?

Also hard.

1. “Habits (Stay High) [Hippie Sabotage Remix]” by Tove Lo

2. “Bad Blood” by Taylor Swift

3. “One Time” by Marian Hill

4. “Classic Man“by Jidenna

5. “Gimme More“by Britney Spears

Number one favorite dance move of all time?

The classic throwing of the ass in a circle.

Favorite off-campus social gathering place?

BROTHERS! Good music, cheap drinks, no freshmen and sophomores (no shade).

Last year we experiences Curran’s 21.5 Turn Up and Finally 22 party. What can we expect for this semester?

Ooh la la! Well, the 22.5nd is coming in August, so brace yourselves. Y’all are NOT ready. Bigger, better and louder than ever before!

Model Behavior

What’s your favorite part about modeling?

The MONEY. *Ahem* But seriously, it’s the fact that it allows me to make art by being a muse and/or a canvas for someone else. I personally lack any artistic talent. I have no idea how to bring my creative thoughts to life and modeling gives me an outlet for that, which is so fulfilling. I’ve been blessed to work with insanely inspired and talented stylists, makeup artists, photographers, directors, etc. Meeting with, and working with and inspiring these people is the most beautiful part of modeling by far.

Who is your modeling and fashion inspiration?

NAOMI CAMPBELL. Stop what you’re doing. Go to youtube. Type in ‘Naomi Campbell Victoria Secret Runway’. It’ll change your life.

What was your favorite modeling gig?

I was completely naked and covered very selectively with gold leaf and gold paint. It was so sexy, but still incredibly artistic and classy. The paint was hideously cold, but still–great stuff!

What was your most awkward or worse modeling experience?

I did a photo shoot with a photographer who posed me down to my fingers. He did not even let me pose. I would just stand there in the set and he would pose me, which took any of my creativity and love for the craft out of the shoot. I literally sat there waiting for it to be over. And this was when I first started, so I did it for free just to get photos in my portfolio. So I didn’t even get any money from it!

What’s one modeling shoot you will never do?

I don’t pose with fur ever. Or with religious symbols.

Your modeling career has taken off in the past few months, where do you see it going in the next year or so?

Well, I hope to get signed in Europe to a really high-ranking agency (i.e. Wilhelmina, Ford, Storm) since my current agency is purely domestic. I would still stay signed with them in the US, but I would work with the other agencies for my European shoots. I just cannot wait to shoot in Paris and Italy again.

Tell us about the average modeling session—start to finish!

So, for me the session starts the night before. I take care of any hair removal that needs to be done, scrub and exfoliate my face, then apply a night mask. I usually go and get a pedicure and a manicure so that my hands and feet are smooth and well-groomed. Also, tanning and teeth-whitening as needed. I wrap my hair and then go to bed. The morning of, I make sure to do stretches and work out a bit so that all my muscles are happy. Then I go to the shoot, introduce myself to the photographer and any other models, stylists, hairdressers, make-up artists. I get my make-up done (if need be) and get dressed, then we shoot! If it’s a long one, there’s a break for snacks and chit-chat. Then the shoot ends, I go and eat everything I’ve been putting off eating in order to look good and go back to my day!

WERK

You’ve held quite a few on-campus jobs. Which has been your favorite so far?
Definitely working at Reckers. I got fired last year (totally deserved it, BTW), but it was such a fun place to work. Nothing says excitement like 40,000 drunk, ravenous, post Fever basket cases squeezed into a restaurant the size of my living room.What’s it like to be a “sandwich artist” at Subway?
Depends on the Subway. The one in the Huddle was nice. A lot of my co-workers and I clashed at first, but once I reined in my behavior a bit, things went well and I got along with all of them. The customers were nice. Except for football weekends. We will not speak of football weekends.What’s the weirdest sandwich request you’ve received (or made for personal consumption)?
Someone ordered a Veggie sub with no veggies, but quadruple cheese. So, someone paid $7 for a grilled cheese on sub bread.Any other cool jobs?
Working as a research assistant has been awesome, mostly because my research professor is a total boss.
Sums it up. 
Summer Under the Dome

What’s it like being on campus during the summer months?
Absolutely lovely. So many fewer people, the campus is about 300% more diverse, classes are more mellow. It is so much easier to appreciate the beauty of the campus when it is not packed full of people; especially tourists.

You have three jobs this summer. What are they?
I work at Einstein Bagel, I work as a research assistant for a history professor at Notre Dame, I work as a research assistant for an Anthropology professor at Michigan State University and I am an agency-signed model.

Where can we find out on campus this summer?
In the library, the Basilica, the bookstore and anywhere there’s free food.

Show Some Skin and More…

Which campus productions have you been in so far?

I’ve been in Latin X, Black Images, Black Coffee House, the P-Fresh Show, The BCAC Fashion Show and Show Some Skin.

Which was the most fun?

They were all really wonderful, but Latin Expressions was absolutely spectacular. I was in it as a member of P-Fresh, the Step Team and Dance Africa, so I got major stage time and got to spend a lot of time with my really good friends and colleagues on the teams.

Tell us about Show Some Skin.

It was a nice experience. I missed a huge amount of practices, so I did not get to know my cast members as well as they got to know each other. I also had a very hard time connecting to and memorizing my monologue. With that said, though, Show Some Skin gave me a really great chance to go outside of myself and seek to understand and embody someone else, which was an absolutely beautiful experience for me.

Why do you think this show is even necessary at Notre Dame?

It isn’t. Very few things at Notre Dame are really, truly ‘necessary’. And in some ways, Show Some Skin can be very inflammatory and discomforting. But it is a cathartic experience which gives people a chance to be heard anonymously. This means two things: People both can tell their own story and receive catharsis, but they can also speak for others in the audience who identify with their stories. In some ways, it is like a massive venting session which lets us all burn off some steam in a constructive and enjoyable way.

Last summer you conducted research on race relations in France. What was the most rewarding part of this experience?

Overcoming my horrifying shyness. At first I couldn’t bear to even leave my apartment. I was so nervous about speaking French and not being able to understand people. And frankly, it was pretty bad. I didn’t really enjoy my time in Paris, but there were beautiful moments that I got to experience because I went outside of my shell.

Why are you interested in royalty?

Because, for me, they represent history. Elizabeth II is a living representation of the 1009 year stretch since the Normal Conquest, of the transition to democracy, of the glory (and shame) of the British Empire, both in Britain and in her other 15 reals and territories. I think we are letting history fall by the wayside because we think it isn’t relevant, and royalty is one of the few forms of living history that the majority of people support and enjoy.

Where do you think your major(s) will take you?

All the way to the bank.

#TBT to Curran with dreads.

Thanks, Curran! We are SO ready for you.

XOXO,

HCND

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.com or Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images: Provided by interviewee.

Kat L

Notre Dame

Katrina Linden is an American Studies and Latino Studies Double Major. When she's not drinking coffee or sleeping, she's running HCND with her co-CC, assissting the director of Undergraduate Studies at the Institute for Latino Studies, or pretending to work at NDH. Message her at katrinalinden@hercampus.com if you're interested in writing for HCND.