This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Election season is well upon us, and there is no better way to get excited about voting than tuning into these election-centered TV episodes. This way you can stay informed and entertained all at once. Don’t let anyone say you aren’t civically engaged (but also please vote too. It’s fun and exciting)

New Girl “Hubbedy Bubby”

Season 6 Episode 2

Objectively the greatest show on Netflix, New Girl not only has comedy but it provides insight into the mechanics of voter recruitment and volunteering for a campaign. Main characters Jess (Zooey Deschanel)  and Cece (Hannah Simone) venture out to recruit voters for the upcoming election in order to win a bet with their roommate Schmidt (Max Greenfield). You can bring this episode to life by telling your friends to register to vote!

Community “Intro to Political Science”

Season 2 Episode 17

In true political fashion, I may have to retract a statement I made earlier. Community is objectively the greatest show on Netflix. This episode focuses on the debate stage as Greendale Community College elects a student body president. Optimistic Annie decides to run to reform Greendale, but Jeff Winger enters the race to show her how stupid politics can be. Don’t believe the lies, politics shape our communities and our futures so make sure to get involved by voting this year!

Fresh off The Boat “Citizen Jessica”

Season 3 Episode 4

Louis and the Cattleman’s Ranch staff prepare to be a polling place for the 1996 election, which leads to the intense debate of who killed rapper Tupac Shakur. While at times lighthearted, the episode “Citizen Jessica” touches on the always prevalent and important political issue of immigration and what immigration status looks like in our country. Make sure you vote on behalf of your political beliefs this election!

The Wire “Margin of Error”

Season 4 Episode 6

Last minute appeals, wrangling for votes, drawing in support for campaigns, what more do you need to get you excited for election season? “Margin of Error” follows the buildup to the show’s mayoral election. Councilman Carcetti (Aidan Gillen) grapples for votes while dealing with a potential devastating smear campaign. While I didn’t get to vote in this show’s election, you and I get to vote in our very own presidential election on Nov. 3.

Parks and Recreation “The Debate”

Season 4 Episode 20

You can get your fix of politics and municipal government from Parks and Rec, especially Season 4! “The Debate” follows Leslie Knope’s (Amy Poehler) TV debate against Bobby Newport (Paul Rudd) as her team prepares her for the debate itself and the pressing media. It wouldn’t be Parks and Rec if there weren’t a few minor setbacks along the way. 

The Politician “The Voter”

Season 1 Episode 5

While Donald Trump or Joe Biden are set to be the next president, in this fictional world, wealthy high school student Payton Hobart (Ben Platt) believes he will one day be the president of the United States. Like our current candidates, Payton is in a grind to lock down undecided voters. The best part of this episode is that everyone declares that they intend to vote, and you should too!

Superstore “Election Day”

Season 2 Episode 7

Cloud 9 becomes an official polling place in this TV realm as Dina (Lauren Ash) and Glenn (Mark McKinney) get the superstore ready for the democratic process. This episode aired on Nov. 3, 2016, that’s exactly four years before Election Day 2020. You can honor the episode by voting on Nov. 3, 2020!

Let TV inspire you to vote!!!

Addison Quinn

Notre Dame '22

Hi all! I am from Granger, IN (a lengthy twenty minute drive away from campus) and Ryan Hall is truly a home away from home! I am an intended Marketing major with a Collaborative Innovation minor, but I love trying new things! I’d say my spirit animal is a giraffe because I’m tall, awkward when I run, have a longer than average neck, and don’t drink nearly enough water.