This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Let’s face it: the dining hall ain’t it this semester, and picking up Chipotle from Eddy Street now requires planning at least 24 hours in advance. Especially after a long week of rotating between the spicy chicken sandwich and beef tacos with a caesar salad, I am in dire need of some good take-out on a Friday night. As the only local in my friend group, restaurant suggestions have become my single most important task, and it is not a responsibility I take lightly. Here is my curated list of the best carry-out spots in South Bend. Now that the entire town is not a zoo on home football weekends, venture out into South Bend these upcoming weeks and try them out! (No worries if you don’t have a car: these are all available for delivery through GrubHub!)

Cambodian Thai 

If you know, you KNOW why this one had to be first on the list. Cambodian Thai is my go-to for any occasion. It’s right downtown South Bend, if you want to take a walk around and find the “I Heart SB” sign one block over for a cute photo-op. Cambodian Thai is family-owned, and I’ve been a loyal fan since 2016. You really can’t go wrong with anything on the menu. If you like a little heat, but not too spicy, I’d hands down go with the shrimp and pineapple curry. Some close runners up include the Drunken Noodles with Chicken and fried vegetable potstickers. Also a Thai Iced coffee pairs well with all of the above. 

Aladdin’s Eatery 

Aladdin’s is another solid option if you’re feeling a little on the healthy side. Their lebanese-American dishes are especially great if you’ve gotten some gluten-free, dairy-free friends; there’s something for everyone. I highly recommend the shish-kabob salad (with the zesty tomato dressing), the chicken dijon rolled, ta’bouli, or lentil-chili soup (my family’s favorite).

Barnaby’s 

My sister once told my family that she didn’t want Barnaby’s for dinner that night, and we simply couldn’t speak to her for a few days until we had gotten over it. Barnaby’s pizza is a South Bend staple (and if you’re a true stan, you know that the Barnaby’s on Jefferson makes a better pizza than the one on Grape). Anyways, why order Dominos when you could have a piece of South Bend history? My go-to is everything: sausage, green-pepper, mushroom, onion.

Pegg’s

Pegg’s is a great option for carryout brunch. They even have outdoor seating right downtown, perfect for a morning out with the girls. Especially since the Saturday morning omlette bar in South is now non-existent, a good brunch place is a must. For my ladies who have been missing avocado toast since coming back to campus: this is it. You also can’t go wrong with the Eggs Benedict!

Nom Nom Pho 

For my last recommendation, we have another family-owned, Vietnamese restaurant right downtown. I actually discovered Nom Nom Pho from some of my friends on campus during our freshman year. I, unfortunately, am allergic, but the Massaman Peanut Curry comes highly recommended. The chicken fried rice is excellent as well!

Get out into South Bend and show these restaurants some love! Happy Eating!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram 

some love!

Caroline Pitts

Notre Dame '22

Caroline is a South Bend native and junior Biology and English major on the Pre-Med track. When she is not in class or lab, you can find her heading to spin class, listening to True Crime podcasts, or having The Bachelor viewing parties with her roommates. She loves writing and can’t wait to share some of her thoughts with you all!