The Notebook
The Notebook
New Line Cinema

Top 10 Rom-Coms To Watch This V-Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The season of love is in the air. Whether you are looking for something to do to celebrate Valentine’s Day with your significant other or to celebrate Galentine’s Day with your friends, I have the answer: watch rom-coms. I mean what better way to celebrate than to watch “feel-good movies,” while eating chocolate-covered strawberries and heart-shaped sweets with your friends or snuggled up with your SO?

Here is a list of my 10 top rom-coms:

10. Love, Rosie

This movie stars Lily Collins and Sam Claflin. While there are some good laughs in this movie, it is a bit of a tearjerker as it emphasizes to never keep your feelings away from the person you love, because one day it may be too late. Don’t worry this has a happy ending, so you’ll just have to watch it for yourself to see how the story unfolds.

9. John Tucker Must Die

This is the ultimate girl power movie, for it follows four girls who want to get revenge on, you guessed it, a guy named John Tucker. Why do they want him to die, you ask? Well, he was dating three of them at the same time. I know, yikes. This movie is a great one to watch for your Galentine’s Day celebrations.

8. Legally Blonde

This is just a classic, I mean need I say more? Reese Witherspoon is iconic from her overly pink wardrobe to her outstanding achievement of getting into Harvard Law school. Just an all-around, top-notch movie.

7. Pretty Woman

Starring Julia Roberts, and Richard Gere, this is a modern Cinderella adaptation of how love blossoms between two opposite individuals in LA. There are so many memorable scenes; I still think of Julia Roberts walking down the street in that white dress and black hat whenever I hear Roy Orbison’s song “Pretty Woman.”

6. The Longest Ride

One of many Nicholas Sparks film adaptations on the list, this movie stars Scott Eastwood and Britt Robertson and follows the story of a bull-riding cowboy who falls in love with an art-loving college girl. While their career paths and future plans conflict, the ending shows that love always prevails.

5. She’s The Man

This modern adaptation of Twelfth Night follows Viola, a girl who dresses as her brother and attends his elite boarding school in order to play soccer. Sounds easy right? Well, things get a lot harder for Viola when she falls for her brother’s roommate Duke, played by Channing Tatum, and love triangles emerge. Amanda Bynes is hilarious in this movie and the themes for the original Shakespeare production ring true.

4. The Last Song

The blossoming love story of Ronnie and Will is truly touching and you can see Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth’s love in real life conveyed on screen. There are so many cute, couple-goal scenes, especially the “She Will Be Loved Scene.”. Who wouldn’t want to drive down the country roads of a small southern beach town, singing in the passenger seat, with the windows rolled down and the radio cranked up loud with their SO?

3. Titanic

“I’ll never let go, Jack, I’ll never let go.” Bring out the tissues for this movie because it never fails to make me weep. From young Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Blanchet to Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On,” this movie is a masterpiece.

2. Crazy Rich Asians

Combining comedy and true love, this movie follows the relationship of Rachel Cho, an NYC native, and her boyfriend Nick Young, a member of one of the wealthiest families in Singapore. Oh and Awkwafina is in this, so you know it’s going to be hilarious. Even though there are trials and tribulations of family expectations and societal pressures, Rachel and Nick’s love triumphs. Oh and don’t even get me started on the “ I Can’t Help Falling in Love with You” scene (if you don’t know what I am talking about, then watch this movie now because I guarantee it will give you chills).

1. The Notebook

Last and certainly not least is The Notebook. Words fail to describe how amazing this movie is. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling’s portrayal of Allie and Noah’s love story, from their teenage years to their elderly years, is truly touching and never fails to make me smile, laugh, and cry. My favorite line is: “If you’re a bird, then I’m a bird.”

So, hopefully, you can add some of these movies to your list to watch during this season of love! Regardless of whether you are planning on watching these with your friends, your SO, or by yourself, always know that you, dear reader, are loved.

Caitlyn McHenry

Notre Dame '24

Hi I'm Caitlyn! I am a sophomore at The University of Notre Dame majoring in Film, Television, and Theater, with a concentration in television, and a minor in digital marketing. I have a passion for writing and enjoy singing, baking, spending time with my family and friends, going on walks with my dog Trooper, and (of course) sipping on my Starbucks coffee.