Top 10 Dorm DIYs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Summer is winding down and fall semester is upon us (woot woot)! This means that in less than two weeks, we will all be settled into our new Homes Under the Dome. What better way to spend this remaining time than finishing up packing (or starting, in my case) and finding the best way to personalize the little dorm space we claim as our own? To simplify the process I’ve made a list of the best dorm decoration DIYs, targeted to accommodate the ND girl. Enjoy!

1) Nail & String State Art

Since most of us come from outside the great state of Indiana, this DIY project can serve as a reminder of your roots (not to mention it’s super fun to make!). I’ll be making this to rep the good ol’ state of Connecticut. Instructions can be found here. Happy crafting!

2) Decoupage Catch-All Tray

This Lilly-Pulitzer inspired DIY is perfect for holding miscellaneous items like your keys, phone, and ID. Keep the tray somewhere that makes it easy to grab everything on your way out the door! Beware that this is a more time-consuming DIY, but the final product looks stunning and will leave all your roommates jealous. My personal favorite is the Martha Stewart map design found here.

3) Sharpie Mug

This is one of the easiest and most fun DIYs I have come across, and it’s 100% customizable! The only materials needed are a white mug, Sharpie markers (note: use the OIL-based ones), and an oven. An ND-inspired mug can be made using stickers or a cutout of the shamrock logo. More comprehensive directions can be found here, and tips and tricks can be found here.

4) Chanel Perfume Bottle

This one’s for all you fashionistas out there who want to spice up your drab dorm room. The glitter used in this adaptation is adorable! It’s also practical: the inside of the box can be used as additional storage. Craft away!

5) Decorated Letters

As a Notre Dame student, this DIY really let’s you show your Irish pride. My sister made the set shown above as a gift for the dorm, and I can’t get over how easy the project is. Simply choose your letters (a Fighting Irish theme is preferred) and paint away! I used Command strips to attach them to the wall. If you want to add a little flare to the letters, a floral-themed DIY can be found here.

6) Map with Location Pins

This project is especially good for the world-traveler (or dreamer!). Using a map of the United States or the World, use stickers or push pins to mark the places you’ve been or want to visit (just make sure to use a cardboard backing if you’re using push pins – you don’t want wall damage charges at the end of the year!). Pictures are optional, but add an extra level of personalization to the project (see above for a guideline).

7) Mason Jar DIY

I went crazy with this project before move-in last year, but it was all worth it; the finished product is an ah-mazing jar that can hold anything from pencils to fake flowers. There are literally a million different ways to decorate a mason jar, so I’ve given you some guidance with this Pinterest board (conveniently named “one million ideas for mason jars”). Don’t be afraid to get creative with this one! My favorite materials to use are ribbon and lace. Enjoy!

8) Cork Board

If you’re anything like me, you probably have a million pictures of friends from home you want to decorate your dorm with (just ask my roommates – I had an entire wall devoted to this freshman year). To consolidate space and look super cute while doing it, I recommend you post pictures on a corkboard. This one has fabric over it, which is sooo much cuter than a plain board and super simple to make.  

9) Handmade Notre Dame Signs

Everyone needs a little spirit. Last year, a girl in my hall decorated an entire wall with the fight song and was the envy of everyone in her section. For a cute way to add a little Irish pride, I suggest painting a canvas with your favorite ND logo, quote, or picture. The DIY pictured above looks adorable and is a quick and easy way to add some spirit to your room!

10) Hometown Direction Arrows

This is a great project to do with your roommates once settled in at school. All you need are some wooden arrows and paint (both found at Hobby Lobby). Add good music, and enjoy!

For more creative DIY ideas, visit this Buzzfeed article!

And for more tips and tricks regarding move-in and life at Notre Dame, make sure to follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Image #5 provided by author

Alex Duffy

Notre Dame

Alex is a freshman business major living in Badin Hall (go Bullfrogs!). When she's not biking around campus or eating at South Dining Hall, you can find her walking Cooper the cocker spaniel around North Quad, running the lakes, or manning the front desk at McKenna Hall. Her guilty pleasures include Grey's Anatomy, four-cheese pasta, Pinterest DIY's, and yoga.