This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.
Meet an architecture student who has some pretty specific dining hall preferences!

Name: Tom Boyle

Hometown: Western Springs, IL

Year: 2nd Year Architecture Student

Major: Architecture

Dorm: Carroll

Activities: I’m so uninvolved it’s a joke.

Fun Fact: I can lick my elbow.

Relationship Status: Single

Preffered Dining Hall: South obviously, unless you want stir fry

What is one piece of advice you would give to the incoming freshmen?
Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and try new things!

What new things were you involved in last year?
I did the Mr. Notre Dame pageant and sailing which were very fun experiences even though I had no previous experience as a sailor or beauty king.

What was your favorite part of the Mr. ND pageant? 
Winning… just kidding, I’d say the energy of the crowd. 

What have you been up to this summer?
I spent a week in Spain by myself looking at Moorish architecture. I also visited a friend in New York.

What did you learn from your time in Spain?
I actually learned a lot about myself in Spain and what I appreciate. It is a great experience to be in complete control of a journey. It helped me mature as a student and a person. I had a lot of time by myself to think, but I didn’t really feel alone. Being surrounded by really high quality urban spaces was not only pleasing, but helped me learn as a designer and architect. I was able to refine my tastes and even figure out what my goals were in regards to architecture. 

What was it like being completely alone in another country?
I mean Spanish wasn’t a huge issue most of the time but it was good practice after not having used it for about a year. Traveling alone also helped me feel more comfortable with myself and more confident in general. Being out of my comfort zone made me feel smart and worldly as well. 

What are you looking forward to the most about school starting?
I am looking forward to seeing my friends.

Thanks for the interview, Tom!

Images provided by interviewee. 

New to Pinterest? So are we! Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Hey everyone! I love to write and cry over episodes of One Tree Hill (don't judge). My favorite things to write about are fashion and music. I am definitely an animal and plant lover. I'm a South Bend native so in a way, Notre Dame has always been a part of my home.