This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Summer is a great time to kick back and give your mind a break. As a way to relax during finals week, I have been making a list of what I want to do this summer–and, of course, watching movies is on the list. Here are three movies that are perfect for summer.

The Parent Trap. Definitely one of my favorite childhood movies. Lindsay Lohan plays the role of twins Hallie and Annie who were split up at birth but happen to discover the other’s existence at summer camp. A character discovering that she actually has an identical twin makes for an entertaining plot line. Hallie and Annie then choose to switch places in secret so that they each have the chance to live with the parent they never knew. And while I do not want to spoil the ending, you can probably guess that twins would never choose to be separated again. One way of ensuring that they stay together is to get their parents to fall in love again. Of course, they must face the obstacle of the dad’s new younger girlfriend who wants nothing to do with the girls and plans on sending them away to boarding school. Luckily, the girlfriend’s uptight personality makes her an easy target for the girls’ pranks. The movie is a heartwarming story about sisterhood, family, and fun.

Cheaper by the Dozen 2. Yes, the second one–not the first. In this movie, Tom Baker is feeling nostalgic that his 12 children are growing up and poses the idea that the family spend one last week together at their favorite, old, but charming cottage on the lake. This movie is perfect if you’re spending time near the water or road-tripping with your family. It’s all about making memories with your loved ones before everyone follows their own paths. This movie gets many of its laughs from the rivalry Tom has with a childhood friend, Jimmy Murtaugh, who lives in a massive, luxurious home across the lake. The Murtaughs are all beautiful, successful, incredible athletes, and seemingly perfect. While Tom wants the family to go to battle with the Murtaughs, the kids all actually like each other, showing the parents that friendship and family are what reigns.

Mamma Mia! There’s nothing like views of clear blue waters in Greece to get you in the summer spirit. Not to mention, the catchy songs will have you singing for days afterward. The plot involves soon-to-be-married Sophie seeking to find her birth father. After reading her Mom’s diary to narrow down the pool of potential men who could be her father to three, Sophie invites them to her wedding without her mother knowing. The story is told through upbeat songs and entertaining dance numbers.

So, take summer as a chance to relax, and enjoy these cinematic pieces.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Meg Pryor

Notre Dame '22

Meg is an editor for the Notre Dame chapter. Major: Psychology Minor: Journalism