Thrift Store Confessions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’m sure “thrift-shopping” is something most have heard of and may have even taken part in throughout past two years or so. However, “thrift-shopping,” excessively popularized by Macklemore’s song, “Thrift Shop,” and further appropriated into mainstream culture, is nothing new. It’s moderately insulting actually, that many individuals have attempted to popularize an industry meant for those whom are in dire need of cheap, affordable clothing.

Thrift-shopping as a social past-time has affected the second-hand industry so ridiculously that I cannot even go to my local thrift store and expect to find a nice jacket for less than $10, when three years ago I could have purchased three for the same price!

I understand that maybe you like a cheap deal now and then. Go ahead and snatch that $5 North Face from the Salvation Army! But, please understand, that “ugly” sweater could have been warming somebody who truly needs it. But it’s not so much trendy kids buying things from the Goodwill in general that bothers me, it’s buying to excess that bothers me much more than anything else.

When individuals go “thrift-shopping” as a joke, it devalues the need of others who really need important articles of clothing to survive. I don’t know how many times I’ve told people I’ve gotten a cute article of clothing at the Goodwill and immediately regretted it, realizing I just added to the problem.

But, that’s where I like to think I’m different. I shop at the Goodwill non-ironically. When I hit the thrift shop, it’s a mission. I could probably spend a good two hours in a single second-hand store and not feel guilty about it. I could sort through my closest this very moment and tell you exactly what is from the Goodwill and what I actually paid more than $10 for. The flannel I’m wearing right now? $4.00 Eddie Bauer from the Salvation Army.

My second-hand collection!

The pieces I buy become a part of me, a part of my soul and essence. It’s very cheesy, but it’s true! I couldn’t imagine my life without half of my Goodwill finds. When my very rude friend lost my Goodwill windbreaker last year (you know who you are) I was heartbroken, and still haven’t forgiven him to this day.

I might even be a Goodwill snob. If you look like you don’t belong I will probably silently judge you for a good five minutes before going on my merry way with my arm full of grandpa sweaters. As a personal standard, I generally won’t spend more than $8 on a single clothing item. Over that, and the store is getting greedy. And anything less than an hour in one store is insufficient for achieving optimal finds. Additionally, I never purchase anything with a label I don’t recognize. That may sound extremely materialistic, but if you’re like me, you’re shopping at the Goodwill for a bargain, not just another tank top. However, I do purchase t-shirts and sweatshirts for $2 quite often, perfect for workouts and lounging!

Poor life decisions almost made…

Thrift-shopping is not a fashion trend. It’s a lifestyle. It’s so much more than a once a year trip for your “Ugly Christmas Sweater” themed SYR. I am not going to tell you to stop shopping at the Salvation Army and go buy full-priced clothes at the mall immediately. That would only make me a huge hypocrite. Go ahead, go to the Goodwill. But, please respect the “willy-willy.” Be patient. Don’t expect to find that hidden Ralph Lauren gem on your first trip. And don’t ruin it for the rest of us. Keep it low-key, and don’t snatch up all the good stuff for the people that actually need it.

Photo 1

Kat L

Notre Dame

Katrina Linden is an American Studies and Latino Studies Double Major. When she's not drinking coffee or sleeping, she's running HCND with her co-CC, assissting the director of Undergraduate Studies at the Institute for Latino Studies, or pretending to work at NDH. Message her at katrinalinden@hercampus.com if you're interested in writing for HCND.