This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I turned 20 this past December. My teenage years are officially over and I’ve begun a new chapter of life. I’ve been alive for two whole decades, and have lived through a lot, so here are a handful of things I’ve learned in my 20 years of life:

Be kind.

Everyone is dealing with things they don’t talk about out loud. I try to live life by the golden rule, and treat others the way I want to be treated. We’re all human after all, and we’re all trying our best. It’s nice to be nice!

You’re never gonna get the same moment twice.

Whether it’s stomach cramps from laughing too hard, an incredible concert or an unmatchable sunset, the exact same moment won’t come again. I once read a quote that said something like, “Life becomes more meaningful when you realize the simple fact that you’ll never get the same moment twice.” And it’s true. Be present in the now, and savor every moment!

It’s not your job to be everything to everyone.

This has been a hard one for me to learn. I’ve always been a people pleaser, wanting to help everyone and fix every bad or tricky situation. I’ve come to realize how tiring this can be, even when I have the best intentions. It’s not my job to be everything to everyone; and sometimes, it’s important to put myself first! Remember that you deserve the love and help you are constantly giving to others. 

Life’s magic often lays in the simplest things.

I’ve always yearned for the grand moments of life, like backpacking around the world, swimming with dolphins or eating croissants in Paris. And while things like this are great, the simple things are amazing too—3 AM trips to IHOP, ice cream and movies or screaming songs in the car with my best friends. Live for every moment life throws at you, because the real magic often occurs in the seemingly smallest moments.

The exciting stuff happens outside of your comfort zone.

It’s easy to stick with the comfortable, because it’s scary to put yourself out there and risk failure. But I’ve learned that little good will come if you stay inside your comfort zone. Every time I put myself out there, I’m rewarded with incredible things. As Matt Damon says in the movie We Bought a Zoo, “All you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. And I promise you, something great will come of it.”

Broken hearts heal. 

There are few greater things in life than to love and be loved. Falling in love is beautiful yet scary, because heartbreak is sometimes inevitable. But don’t be scared to be vulnerable, because even the most broken heart will heal. If you’re heartbroken, I promise you the world will soon seem right-side-up again.

Quality over quantity.

This might not even need an explanation. Whether it be anything from your dinner choice to friendships, go for quality—always.

Do things that make your soul happy. It doesn’t matter what anyone else says.

There is no better feeling than being genuinely happy. Chase anything that gives you that feeling. Even if it’s not what someone else wants for you or if it feels embarrassing. Life is too short.

Sometimes, I dread the thought of growing up. But as I reflect on the fact that I’ve turned 20, I realize that I love where I’ve been, who I am, where I’m going and am happy to be along for the crazy ride of life.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Abby Wager

Notre Dame '22

Abby is a junior at Notre Dame majoring in English and double minoring in Journalism and Digital Marketing. She spends her free time with friends, writing, making Spotify playlists, or watching Criminal Minds. She loves mac and cheese, Yosemite National Park, poetry, record players, and good company (in no particular order).