This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.
This one is for all of the collegiettes © who are either townies (like myself), staying on campus for the summer session, or working at an internship in the South Bend area. Indiana gets a bad rep when it comes to things to do. Most outsiders assume that Indiana is full of never-ending corn fields and farms. While this may be true for the majority of the Hoosier State, it is not the case for every city. 

While South Bend may not have the most things to do every season, we are very close to other fun-filled cities. You could always make a day trip to the museums or a concert in Chicago. We are also close to the Michigan border, so that opens a whole new drawer of opportunities. 

Something that I have been dying to do is go rafting on the East Race Waterway. One of my close friends went and had a blast! Rafters enjoy the rushing water of 1,900 feet of river right in downtown South Bend. The whole ride lasts approximately five minutes while traveling at a moderate speed and each ride is only five dollars. Even better, all of the equipment is provided. The waterway is open from June to August on Saturdays from 12 to 5 pm and Sundays from 12:30 to 4:30 pm. This is definitely on my South Bend summer bucket list! 
For those wanting to soak up the sun, South Bend is nearby great beaches. Silver Beach in St. Joe, Michigan, New Buffalo Beach, and Warren Dunes State Park are all beautiful, sand-filled areas just waiting for sunbathers. Silver Beach is approximately 45 minutes from campus. It has volleyball courts and a pier for visitors to enjoy. New Buffalo Beach is about 40 minutes from campus and, in my opinion, is a little more secluded than Silver Beach. Warren Dunes is perfect for those who love hiking because of the massive sand dune, Tower Hill, that visitors can scramble up on a lazy afternoon. Camping spots are available at Indiana Dunes as well. 

Those of age may experience the vineyard Tabor Hill, located in Buchanan, Michigan. The gorgeous locale is only about 30 minutes from campus, making it an easy trip. The winery offers tours of the vineyards and wine cellars. Tours are available every day from 12 to 4:30 pm and start every half hour. There is a nine dollar tasting fee per person. After touring the winery, visit the restaurant! The menu changes daily so that the chefs can use seasonal ingredients. Reservations are recommended. 

There are always fun possibilities in the area. If you love to shop, make sure you check out Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets in Michigan City, Indiana. This outdoor outlet mall has a great selection of stores and most of them have great sales. Even if the weather is bad, you can browse the University Park Mall. 
The next time you get bored in the Bend, remember that there are definitely things to do. Hopefully these suggestions make them easier to find!

Follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook

Images 1, 2, 3
Hey everyone! I love to write and cry over episodes of One Tree Hill (don't judge). My favorite things to write about are fashion and music. I am definitely an animal and plant lover. I'm a South Bend native so in a way, Notre Dame has always been a part of my home.