Style

Ten Halloween Costumes You Wore as a Kid that Would Totally Work in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Cowgirl

It was so cute when you were little with your hair in pigtails and the almost-blinding sparkly pink boots. Now all you really need is a flannel, jeans, a hat and some boots and you are ready to go. (Plus, everyone loves southern charm.)

Witch

I know it’s basic. But if you don’t really want to buy a costume it is so easy to pull this one off. All you need is a lot of black clothing, which most of us college girls have, and if you don’t want to go all-in with the giant hat, there are always the cute little headband witch hats. Small, cute, fun…witchy.

Alice in Wonderland

They have this option for adults now. I was emotionally attached to this costume. I never saw the movie or read the book, but the length of the dress gave me legs for days. I’m sure it will do the same for you.

Dancer

The possibilities are endless when it comes to this Halloween costume. Play to your wardrobe’s strengths. Have a lot of reds? Salsa dancer. Maybe neon is more up your alley?, Aerobics dancer. Black bodysuits? Tap dancer. Sparkly red leotard from your eighth-grade dance recital? A Rockette. Easy.

Vampire

Another versatile option, the vampire costume can be as spooky or scandalous as you want. The fake white teeth might be uncomfortable, and if you aren’t big into blood I don’t know how great of a choice this is, but hey, at least you will look cute. 

Black Cat

Basic. Black bodysuit with black ripped jeans. Cute cat ear headband and some eyeliner-drawn whiskers. Done. That’s it. That’s the costume.

Retro Barbie

Nothing is more fun than putting on the bluest of eyeshadows and the pinkest of leggings to be Barbie. Pull off the look again by getting all dolled up with some leg warmers and a lot of neon. 

​Mary Poppins

She is an icon. With Mary Poppins Returns having come out last year, this costume is pretty relevant again. A black skirt and a white button-down shirt paired with an umbrella and a lot of cheer, this costume is pure magic. 

Angel

Again, angel is a pretty basic choice. You could easily get a friend to be a devil. The angel shows your sweet and elegant side, while you can still be a little devilish too in how you dress the costume up. ;)

Teddy Bear

I wore this costume when I was a baby. It was probably the cutest I ever was. Tough when you peak at two years old, but that’s not the point. Grabbing a brown sherpa and adding some brown eyeshadow or eyeliner to your face would complete the cute and cuddly teddy bear look. Who wouldn’t want to hug a teddy bear?

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Image 123