This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

gif of Saturday night live drivers license skit
SNL / Giphy

Have you ever wondered why “drivers license” makes you so emotional? Are you a Swiftie looking for a breakdown of the lyrics on her newest albums? Want to know why The Weeknd’s “Blinding Lights” has been on the charts for so long? 

These questions, and more, are answered in the podcast Switched on Pop.

Whatever algorithm Spotify employs knows what I like, perhaps even better than I do. This winter break, under a “recommended for you” section, I saw a podcast episode titled “Taylor Swift has ‘evermore’ of a good thing.” I was immediately intrigued. 

I’d never gotten into podcasts before, mainly because I love listening to music too much. I could never convince myself that instead of jamming out to music for 45 minutes, I should spend that time listening to people I’d never met have a conversation.

the good place podcast gift
The Good Place / Giphy

That changed when I discovered Switched on Pop. I listened to the episode about evermore and was enthralled by the discussion of Nashville songwriting conventions in “‘tis the damn season,” the sound of rubber bridge guitars in “willow,” the meaning of an unusual time signature in “closure,” and the narrative arc of “no body, no crime.” 

All it took was this one episode to turn me into a dedicated listener.

Every Tuesday, the two hosts of the podcast — a musicologist and a songwriter — break down the latest in pop music. They touch on lyrics, sound, instrumentation, history and more. Their description on Spotify is the best way to summarize the show: Switched on Pop “pull(s) back the curtain on how pop hits work magic on our ears & our culture.” 

The show has gained accolades from the likes of The New York Times, The Atlantic and The Guardian — and once you listen, it’s clear why. The podcast is approachable for those who enjoy pop music casually, but it also contains just enough tidbits of theory to interest those with a deeper musical background. 

The hosts, Harding and Sloan, facilitate conversations that are enlightening without ever feeling snobbish, and their honesty and relatability shine through in the podcast format. Although they’re experts, it’s clear that they’re fans of the music as well, which makes each episode even more exciting for listeners.

Other than the evermore review, some other great episodes I’ve listened to so far include:

If you’re already switched on pop music, you’ll easily get switched on this podcast!

spongebob gif
SpongeBob SquarePants / Giphy

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Title Photo

Hey everyone, I'm Hailey! I’m a junior at the University of Notre Dame majoring in American studies and sociology. Some of my favorite things to do include making extremely specific playlists on Spotify, dancing around in my room to BTS songs, and sending way too many Tik Toks to my friends.