Super Bowl XLVIII: Giving You the Low Down Before the Show Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

After months of watching our favorite NFL teams grind it out on the gridiron, the time has finally come for the crown jewel of all sporting events: Super Bowl XLVIII.

This Sunday, audiences across the country will watch as the offense-thriving Denver Broncos duke it out against the offense-thrashing Seattle Seahawks at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

Here are a few key facts about the teams you should know before tuning in Sunday night:

1.  This year’s Super Bowl features the league’s top-rated offense (the Denver Broncos) versus the league’s top-rated defense (the Seattle Seahawks).

2.  This is the Bronco’s seventh Super Bowl appearance in franchise history. If they lose, the Bronco’s will have a record five Super Bowl losses. Alternatively, Sunday’s game marks the Seahawk’s second Super Bowl appearance in franchise history. The Seahawk’s first Super Bowl appearance, in 2006 at Super Bowl XL resulted in a loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

3.  Much of the hype surrounding this game can be attributed to Denver Bronco’s star quarterback Peyton Manning, who seeks his second Super Bowl win. With a victory on Sunday, you can expect Manning to win his record-breaking fifth regular season MVP award, as well as be in the conversation for one of the best NFL quarterback of all time.

4.  As many of you may already know, Seahawk’s cornerback Richard Sherman is now a media sensation, earning such a title after his unforgettable post-game interview with Erin Andrews a few weeks ago. But did you also know that Sherman is also a graduate of Stanford University, achieving a 3.9 GPA in his undergraduate career? I’d say that’s pretty impressive.

5.  Did you know that this year’s Super Bowl will be played outside in the frigid cold? Game time temperatures are estimated to be in the low 30’s, with mild wind and a chance for precipitation. As a result of these brutal weather conditions, ticket prices are dropping. However, they’re still quite pricey, with the cheapest tickets on StubHub selling for about $1,680 a seat.

6.  Notre Dame Alumni play for both teams. Former Notre Dame wide receiver Golden Tate is expected to have a big game for the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday. Throughout the season, Tate caught 64 passes for 898 yards and five touchdowns and has three rushing attempts for 31 yards. David Bruton, former Notre Dame safety and 2009 graduate, plays for the Broncos. Whether you love or hate either of the teams, you have to love seeing the University of Notre Dame represented in the NFL!

7.  Bruno Mars will be performing as this year’s headliner for the Super Bowl XLVIII halftime show. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are scheduled to make an appearance during the halftime show as well.

8.  Oddsmakers have the Denver Broncos as three point favorites in Sunday’s matchup. Throughout the playoffs, both teams have won games by narrow margins, and have scored less than 17 points per game.

Now take these tid-bits with you and get ready for kick-off!

Photos 1, 2, 3, 4

Katie Fusco

Notre Dame

A senior English and American Studies double major at the University of Notre Dame, Katie is passionate about media, education, and public history.