Study Abroad Series: The Fomo is Real

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The human mind really is a selfish son of a gun, isn’t it? From the moment that I began the application process for studying abroad in London, I have been thinking all about what a semester of travels could do for me and ONLY me. How would my experience make me more marketable to future employers? How many new friends would I make and what cool adventures would we go on together? How many more followers would I gain on Instagram with all my #scenic shots? These are actual questions that have been lurking at the forefront of my mind for months. Hardly ever did I think, “How will I emotionally handle being away from my family and friends while they continue to live their lives at home?” Turns out, that final question was the one I should have been dwelling on all along.

I missed reuniting with my friends after a long summer apart

That first week was hard. Watching all of my campus friends coming together again was a real challenge for me. They would send me Snapchats or blow up the group message and all I could do was watch their happiness unfold whilst sitting, staring at the Minion billboard directly outside my room, over 3000 miles away. It was hard, and as I continue to get updates from everyone, it doesn’t really get any easier. When I have fomo whilst on campus, it’s usually due to homework, so I have something to blame for my inability to be social. Here, however, I have no one to blame but myself, which only makes my internal monologue that much more dramatic and conflicted. Life would really be easier if I could be in two places at once.

I missed the first football game

All my friends that are reading this article, I hope you’re bracing yourself because I’m sure you never thought this day would come. Game Day was excruciatingly painful for me, and for the first time, not because I had been forced to stand on one leg for three hours straight. Football has never been my favorite part of the Notre Dame experience. I know this makes me sound crazy, but it’s just the simple truth. Game Day goes hand in hand with a spike in my anxiety and therefore, it’s never been something I have genuinely looked forward to. That said, watching everyone’s social media pages explode with a combination of Blue, Green, and Gold last Saturday was torture. I was missing tailgates, camaraderie, parties, laughter, and from the looks of it, pure joy. While no, I am sure come next year, I still won’t look forward to football season, I will definitely appreciate it for what it is: a jolly good time.

I missed an important event at home ~

My family is incredibly important to me. I love them with all my heart and keep in contact with them as much as possible, so when I found out a full 30 hours later that my Grandma had had a stroke, I was angry. How come I wasn’t informed immediately? Was she going to be okay? Did I need to come home?

Luckily, she is doing fine and there was no real need to panic, but receiving that news was truly something out of my worst nightmares. If I was back at Notre Dame, I could have hopped in a car and been at her side in a matter of three hours. However, the same option wasn’t available to me here. Had it been worse, I don’t know what I would have done. Never had I even considered not being able to be with a loved one in their time of need.

Living in London is honestly a dream come true. There is so much to see and explore and I have only scratched the surface of all the wonderful things this city has to offer. That said, I am very aware of everything I am missing out on back home. I love adventure, but I love my friends and family as well. As I continue through these next three months, I know I will continue to face the very real challenges that come from living far away from the people and places that hold my heart. At the end of this chapter, however, I know I will be ready to return to the Midwest and truly appreciate it for everything it has given to me over the years.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 4 all provided by author,  3 provided by Tara Kelly

Jessica Ping

Notre Dame '19

Hey everyone! My name is Jessica Ping, I'm a senior here at Notre Dame, and I live in the palace of campus, aka Flaherty Hall! Generally you can find me on Instagram, watching Netflix, or singing with the Liturgical Choir. I would consider myself a professional napper. I'm just your typical college student who is still trying to figure out what the heck is going on.