Straight Outta Dublin: Dearbhla Fay ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

You may have seen her around campus chasing the American dream on her bike without using handlebars and getting yelled at by Father Jenkins for it. You may know her as the loud Irish girl with the interesting name. But, Dearbhla Fay is all that and more. Read on to discover her thoughts on Notre Dame, Ireland, and all the things she likes and hates.

Name: Dearbhla Fay

Major: History and German

Year: 2017

Dorm: Ryan Hall

Hometown:  Dublin, Ireland

All About ND

Why did you decide to come to Notre Dame?

I didn’t want to go to college in Ireland because I wasn’t about to deal with that system. My aunt and uncle (who lived in Sorin and Walsh, classic love story) convinced me to apply.

Best thing about Notre Dame?

Its size because there are always new people to meet. You can’t walk across campus without seeing someone you know, yet there are still always people you haven’t met yet.

What activities are you involved in on campus?

I am an inactive member of German club, I help run the International Student Network, and I tutor at the Robinson Learning Center. Also, I am a proud student manager at Reckers Café.

What’s your biggest ND bucket list item?

Swimming in the lakes! Because I have a fear of both plant life and fish, so I would like to overcome them.

Just Irish Things

What do you miss most about Ireland?

The sea. Notre Dame is cool and all, but my high school literally looked out on to the sea and watching boats pass by was one of my favorite activities. Also the chocolate, bread, potatoes, basically all the carbs…

What don’t you miss at all?

The permacloud. Believe me, South Bend’s ‘permacloud’ has nothing on Dublin’s. There is a reason Irish people are so pasty, guys.

What are some of the biggest differences between Ireland and America?

The accents. I’m so funny.

Also, America has Chik-Fil-A and Chipotle, for which I am #grateful.

“I like my roommates so much I was willing to do the weird American girl teapot-pose-thing for the sake of symmetry”

Favs

Song: I have been known to sing Bruce Springsteen’s “Born to Run” on McGlinn fields on game day and any other day that I see fit.

Food: Cadbury’s chocolate

Historical Figure: Pirate Thomas Morris, who in 1718, as he was being led to the gallows, said he wished he could only have been “a greater plague to these islands.” If Notre Dame did senior quotes, this would be mine.

TV show: The West Wing

Quote: “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

– Wayne Gretzky

– Michael Scott

– Dearbhla Fay”

#doubleentendre

Thanks for sharing, Dearbhla!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images provided by interviewee

Emily Rodriguez is a sophomore English major and Business Economics minor at Notre Dame. She joined Her Campus during fall 2014 and loves to write about style, television, and movies. When not in class, she can be found singing with Halftime, contemplating going to the gym and ultimately not going, and thinking too much about Parks and Recreation.