Spring Has Sprung: End of Semester De-Stress Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It’s incredible to think that it’s already almost April – it seems like just yesterday we were planning our tailgates and posting our first dome pics of the year.  With only a little over a month left of the school year, it’s hard to believe where the time has gone.

Life always gets crazy busy in the spring, and it’s easy to become completely stressed with finals, papers, internships,  and adulthood in general. New York Times columnist Sydney J Harris once said that the best time to relax is when you don’t have time for it. I love this quote, and even in the most hectic of times, I try to adhere to this philosophy. As this year at ND is beginning to wind down, it’s important to take the time to relax with friends; after all, HCNDers, we deserve it! Here are some ideas of some fun things to do before the semester’s out!

Take a Mini Road Trip

We all know that the South Bend Bubble is #real. Although we don’t live in a sprawling metropolis or booming college town, there are tons of fun, funky places to visit that are only a short while away. Haven’t made it out to Chicago yet? Hop on the South Shore Line for some fantastic restaurants and museums. Want something a little more low-key? Head on up to Harbor Country, Michigan for some adorable boutiques and beaches. The possibilities are endless.

Go For a Hike

Nothing can clear your head quite like a good hike – plus, hikes been proven to benefit your emotional health in addition to your physical health. A half hour hike can increase happiness, improve your respiratory health, and help you sleep better. So, grab a buddy and head to the National Lakeshore for a much needed study break!

Listen to Some Live Music

Who knew we had a local Lollapalooza in our backyard? Take a breather and enjoy some of the most talented groups in the South Bend area. Check out Carroll Hall’s Lakeside Festival on April 16th! Looking for a way to unwind during finals week? Head downtown for the first annual Riverlights Music Festival on May 5th through the 7th. 

Explore South Bend Restaurants

As much as we adore our beloved North and South dining halls, it’s exciting to get off campus for a meal every once in a while, and good food is even more important when you’re stressed out. Find out if clubs are doing fundraisers at an Eddy Street eatery and go support an ND organization! Want to do a little more exploring? Try the Fiddler’s Hearth or Chicory Café for less pricey, more adventurous cuisine!

Do Some Service

One of the best ways to detox and de-stress is to focus your energy on doing some good. There are loads of wonderful service opportunities in South Bend, but Back the Bend Day on April 2nd is one of the best and largest options out there. From planting flowers at Unity Gardens to painting fire hydrants in historic South Bend, there are options for everyone, and you’ll feel great about it too! Check out more here and register!

Enjoy your April!!!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Lydia Costello is a freshman at ND studying English and Film, Television, Theater with a concentration in film. She hails from the sprawling metropolis of Chesterton, Indiana (although she might tell you Chicago in an effort to sound more interesting), but is a proud Lyons lady while at home under the dome. When she's not blogging, writing for HCND, or being a pun master extraordinaire, Lydia can be found live tweeting awards shows and episodes of Downton Abbey over at @lydia_costelllo, taking Buzzfeed quizzes, asking to pet other people's dogs, and lying to herself about making Pinterest recipes. She's always up for a good cup of coffee and good conversation (if lost, please return to Starbucks). Keep calm and Go Irish!