This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Get ready to kick back on a beach with a good book in your hand! Here are a few recently released or upcoming releases that are not to be missed.

The Case for Jamie – Brittany Cavallaro

This third book in a Sherlock Holmes-inspired series is fantastically precisely because it is not a retelling, but rather a continuation of ACD’s story with the descendents of the original Sherlock, Watson, and Moriarty. That twist sets this book apart from the rest, letting it exist with Doyle’s canon.

Truly Devious – Maureen Johnson

Maureen Johnson makes her return to writing after a prolonged illness, and her style is one I have dearly missed. Her mysteries are fantastic, and I can’t wait to see how her murder at a boarding school novel will play out. As always, I look forward to her anecdotes and tangential stories that make the stories feel real.

How I Resist: Activism and Hope for the Next Generation – Edited by Maureen Johnson

The aforementioned Maureen Johnson also ran a fantastic campaign getting YA authors involved to get young people involved to campaign for Obama in ‘08.  She wanted adults who know how to talk to young people to write stories about how you persevere in times when the world seems dark, and assembled an all-star cast of writers and actors to share their stories.

Obsidio – Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

This is the most uniquely written science fiction series I have ever read. Entire pages of the previous two books were devoted to maps, text logs, photographs, and crew listings, and I hope for more of the same from this final installment in the phenomenal space opera.

The Radical Element – Edited by Jessica Spotswood

I’m still getting used to reading anthologies, but more and more of my favorite authors are being featured in them and that pulls me in. These are fictional stories of young women in American history just trying to exist as themselves, despite the systemic issues in their way.

Bygone Badass Broads – Mackenzi Lee

Mackenzi Lee’s twitter stories of fantastic women in history have finally become a book! This looks like a gorgeously illustrated, quick but important read of well-known and also often under reported histories.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook , Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images 1, 2, 3

Julia Erdlen

Notre Dame

I'm a junior living in Ryan Hall. Majoring in English and minoring in Science, Technology, and Values, and Computing and Digital Technologies. I'm from just outside of Philadelphia, and people tend to call out my accent. In the free time I barely have, I'm consuming as much superhero media and as many YA novels as pssible.