SPOOKY WEEK: Why S’mores May Be the Best Halloween Treat This Year —and how to spice them up!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

When you think of s’mores, you think of those camp nights out in the woods, or huddling around a fire pit at the beach around 2 a.m. I know they definitely aren’t the first things you think of when someone says Halloween. But given the social distancing rules we should adhere to, there’s nothing better than making your way over to the free fire pits out on either Library or South Lawn and roasting some marshmallows. 

Everyone loves a classic S’more made up of a marshmallow, two graham crackers and a fat piece of chocolate. However, it is a spooky season in the middle of an extremely wild year, so here are some ways you can spice up your typical S’mores. Don’t be shy!

Cookie Butter

If you don’t like cookie butter, we can’t be friends. It’s scrumptious, decadent, creamy and it goes perfectly on a graham cracker. While Trader Joe’s has not opened on Eddy Street just yet, common stores like Target have great cookie butter brands on their shelves. You can even make it yourself, via the video above. Add the toasty marshmallow on top, and you’ve got yourself a fancy S’more! 

Chocolate Bars

Even if you don’t like chocolate bars by themselves , you’re going to end up with bars of Kit Kats, Snickers or Reese’s on Halloween. Why not put them to good use by sandwiching them  in your S’more? My ultimate recommendation is to use Snickers; the combination of caramel and chocolate makes it a perfect complement to the marshmallow. 

Cookie Dough Sandwich

You may not have a huge sweet tooth, but you would be surprised by how cohesively cookie dough, marshmallows and chocolate go together. Unlike a graham cracker, the cookie dough adds a chewy texture that makes it quite scrumptious . Unlike a graham cracker, it’s very easy to shape cookie dough to fit your S’more. Plus, you won’t have to deal with crumbs all over your lap! 

So this Halloween, consider throwing away the typical trick-or-treat experience and instead try making delicious S’mores. Extra points if, in the spirit of social distancing, you find a three-foot long stick to roast your marshmallows! 

Julia Kim

Notre Dame '24

Julia is a student at the University of Notre Dame's Mendoza College of Business. Having been on her high school's newspaper team all four years, she's formed her best memories, friends, and skills from writing. She loves to work out and can often be found watching Masterchef.