South Bend Is A Thriving Metropolis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Ah, South Bend, Indiana, our much maligned yet much-beloved city. It’s our home and our playground; we coexist in a symbiotic relationship. And yet, at the end of the day, we know so little about it. We don’t use it to its fullest potential. South Bend, our friend on the weekends, remains the butt of Keenan Revue jokes and the object of our suspicion.

Recognizing this fact, Notre Dame’s Student Government has decided it’s time to strengthen ties between our school and its city. The Ricketts-Ruelas administration made community relations a priority for the 2015-2016 school year. Its initiatives have centered around bringing South Bend businesses onto campus to interact with students, as well as other concerns like public safety.

These initiatives luckily coincide with a time period in which the municipal government of South Bend has been revamping South Bend’s downtown area and creating spaces where the vitality of the community can shine through. The next time you feel like getting out there in the Bend, here are just a few notable attractions that will remind you that South Bend is a thriving metropolis.

The Potawatomi Zoo

Not only is it the oldest zoo in Indiana, it boasts over 400 animals on 23 acres of land!  From big cats, to bison, to Bactrian camels, this zoo really does have it all. Although it’s generally an attraction for the warmer months, the zoo does have “Winter Days” so you can see what the animals are up to year-round.

Fun fact: The zoo participates in the Species Survival Plan program, which helps preserve endangered species.

The Chicory Café

Included here at a South Bend local’s recommendation, the Chicory Café describes itself as a “French Quarter-style coffeehouse.” Its menu is replete with Louisiana classics like beignets, jambalaya, and po’boys. Stop in for a Southern fix and be sure to enjoy the live music on the weekends!

River Lights

Built to commemorate South Bend’s 150th birthday, the River Lights are a public art installation on the banks of the St. Joseph river. The light sculptures symbolically unite the two banks of the river—and they’re interactive too! They change and shift as people walk by, and visitors on one side of the river can send a “flow of color” to the visitors on the other bank. It would be a shame to miss this brand new attraction!

South Bend 

Cubs

South Bend’s very own minor league team! Grab your friends and catch a game at Coveleski Stadium—we’ve been personally assured that it’s a good time. America’s favorite pastime is a great way to feel like a local and to get a sense of South Bend pride.

Fun fact: The team has been around (under various names) since the 80’s. Before they signed an agreement with the Chicago Cubs, the team was known as the “Silver Hawks,” after the Studebaker car that used to be manufactured here.

The Pool

Last but not least, don’t miss the chance to enjoy all that South Bend’s burgeoning art community has to offer. The Pool is literally that… a repurposed high school pool. When the old South Bend Central High School was converted into an apartment building, the pool stood empty until its current owners decided to turn it into an intimate concert venue. There’s truly no other place like it, and there’s no better place to see some astounding local acts.

Happy exploring! 

ND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Ariana Zlioba is a sophomore Political Science major and a proud resident of Pasquerilla West Hall. She spends her free time exploring every minor Notre Dame has to offer and imagining the editor's notes she will write after she succeeds Anna Wintour as editor-in-chief of Vogue. Here is what she likes: Stephen Colbert, high heels, and that coconut coffee Waddick's has sometimes. Here is what she doesn't like: Permacloud. At any given moment you'll most likely catch her dashing across campus in between meetings, Dance Co. rehearsals, and other meetings.