This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Last year, I avoided one of the most popular Notre Dame experiences completely. I stayed in South Bend for both semesters while most of my friends and classmates went out into the world, to Perth, Dublin, or London. I had dodged the bullet of Study Abroad, got to experience both a football season and Notre Dame in spring, for at least a week in May.

But, during the spring semester, I got an email. The ND Berlin summer program had spots open. I forwarded it to my parents and filled out an application on a whim, in a whirl of applications for jobs and research grants. With the help of a favorite professor and awesome rector, I secured a spot for six weeks in Berlin.   There may have been a few moments of panic, of reconsideration, and of preemptive homesickness. I managed to ignore all of that and get on a plane less than two weeks after my junior year had officially ended.  And then I was in Germany. With no students I knew. When I didn’t speak German.

The first week there, I learned how to introduce myself in German, how to deal with German public transit, and that both my roommates had just finished their first year at Notre Dame. I met some cool new professors and tried German food.

This is called Spaghettieis. Just ice cream made to look like spaghetti!

Thanks to an awesome friend fluent in German, I went to see a ton of German theater. From a rather contemporary play our first week, which was followed up by Hamlet, I grew familiar with hearing the language and was ever so grateful for supertitles in English.  I saw three more shows, one of which did not have any English translations. So, I learned about Brecht and got some whispered translations during Mutter Courage.

Whispered translations became enormously helpful in large groups. In a grocery store or buying coffee, I would use up my few weeks of German with the basics of a transaction. When asked, ‘Paper or plastic?’ I would end up using one of my standby German phrases: do you speak English? (The others were excuse me and thank you).  I had homilies translated, and spent mass with my head in the book to attempt to follow the mass. Seventeen years of Catholic school and I was completely lost in the mass. At least for a few weeks, but I adapted to reading the parts of mass instead of listening for cues in English.

Living truly independently was also quite the shift. I had an apartment for the first time, with two wonderful roommates, but I had to cook. I have never been in a situation where I had to cook all of my own meals before. I got rather inventive, learned just how long you can stretch a box of pasta and a jar of sauce, and accidentally had some veggies go bad in the fridge. I think that’s a necessary step in learning cooking skills.

Somehow, some way, I got infected with whatever bug it is that makes us all gush about our time abroad. Now I simply can’t stop talking about it. I had the chance to grow as a person, quite sincerely, and I am so thankful for my adventure.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images provided by author

Julia Erdlen

Notre Dame

I'm a junior living in Ryan Hall. Majoring in English and minoring in Science, Technology, and Values, and Computing and Digital Technologies. I'm from just outside of Philadelphia, and people tend to call out my accent. In the free time I barely have, I'm consuming as much superhero media and as many YA novels as pssible.