Six Mellow Artists for Your Midterms Study Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you need to listen to music during most activities you complete in your daily life–especially while you’re studying. For me, the serious type of studying that midterms season demands is conducive only to a low-key, mellow soundtrack that won’t overly distract me from my work. The following are six incredibly talented artists whose dreamy and mellow music has consistently made its way onto my most serious studying soundtracks:

Beach House

The slow, soothing sounds of this dream pop duo will put you in a cozy and peaceful state of mind. Songs like “Myth,” “Somewhere Tonight,”“Space Song” and “Elegy to the Void” get you ready to reflect on deep subjects like philosophy and theology.

Sigur Rós

Sigur Rós is an ambient art rock band from Iceland whose minimalistic, yet formidable music style is suitable for your most serious midterm studying. The band actually sings in a self-invented “language” coined Vonlenska, or “Hopelandic” as it is translated in English, that is largely nonsense syllables and emotive vocals that sounds quasi-Icelandic, so you won’t need to worry about lyrics distracting you from your orgo notes.

Gregory Alan Isakov

Gregory Alan Isakov combines heart-wrenching lyrics with beautiful folk music. His album Gergory Alan Isakov with the Colorado Symphony reimagines some of his best songs with the instrumental beauty of an orchestra of strings and brass and is particularly lovely. “Liars” is breathtaking and dramatic and one of my all-time favorites, while “Dandelion Wine” and “San Luis” represent more of his wistfully descriptive lyrics and gorgeous tunes. His music will simultaneously inspire you to power you through midterms and calm you to your core.

Lord Huron

Listening to this band’s folksy indie music is like taking a long, relaxing walk into an otherworldly set of woods. “The Night We Met,” “Ghost on the Shore” and “Lost in Time and Space” are some of my favorite mellow tracks that are perfect for setting a mellow mood for studying.

Cigarettes After Sex

Their dreamy lyrics and ambient pop sound are the perfect background for an all-night study sesh. Lead singer Greg Gonzalez’s ethereal, androgynous voice might put you into a trance you won’t want to wake up from, though, so consume these mellow tracks with caution.

Mitski

While Mitski does have some angry girl anthems like “Townie” and “Your Best American Girl,” her softer soundtracks like “Two Slow Dancers” and “First Love / Late Spring” are pure poetry that will inspire you to write an eloquent and stirring essay that will blow your professor’s mind. 

Photos 123, 4.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Lydia Schaecher

Notre Dame '20

Lydia Schaecher is currently a senior at Notre Dame studying Environmetal Sciences and Philosophy. When not studying or working, she can be found running in just about any weather, watching Ancient Aliens and reading up on conspiracy theories, getting ridiculous deals while thrift-store shopping, or playing Nancy Drew computer games.