Singer Extraordinaire: Aileen Markovitz ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Year: Sophomore

Major(s): Economics/Vocal Performance

Hometown: St. Louis, Missouri

Dorm: Flaherty Palace (formerly Pangborn)

Relationship Status: Single and currently taking applications

Recently, you helped create the Classical Music Club of Notre Dame. Tell us more about the club and what type of events it has.

The goal of the Classical Music Club is to create a community of students who love classical music! We bring in guest speakers, attend numerous concerts, and even send small groups of students to perform at local nursing homes.

What inspired you to start this club?

In high school, I was in an opera young-artists program that provided us with countless opportunities to attend concerts and engage with classical music in St. Louis, and served as a model for the Classical Music Club. I met so many incredible people and developed a love for classical music through the program, so I hope to accomplish the same with the Classical Music Club at ND!

What do you like to sing?

I’ve only ever sung classical pieces like opera arias and art songs, but I’ve always wanted to dabble in the musical theater world. If PEMCo did My Fair Lady I would definitely try out! I hope PEMCo people are reading this!

Who is your favorite singer/soprano?

Right now I’m loving Jonas Kaufman and Dimitri Hvorostovsky. The idea that opera singers are not sexy is a huge misconception, and these two serve as evidence!

Jonas Kaufman, Tenor

Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Baritone

Do you believe that being a soprano makes you a diva?

The type of person who decides to be an operatic soprano is probably already a diva! Also, the few interactions I’ve had with non-diva sopranos have been quite unexpected and equally unsettling. In reality, I try to maintain a high level of professionalism and bring a good energy to a show or rehearsal. Google Kathleen Battle for an example of what not to do as a diva!

Why ND?

Both of my parents went to Notre Dame, so this campus has been my second home as long as I can remember! Two of my brothers currently attend ND, so it’s fun to all hang out on campus, and sometimes we even get dinner together.

Favorite ND memory do far:

This year a group of friends and I spent a weekend in Stratford, Ontario for the annual Shakespeare Festival! We were able to see incredible performances and engaged in the Stratford nightlife, including the Canadian version of Club Fever! It was a beautiful weekend of theater and friendship.

What do you plan to do after your time at Notre Dame?

I plan to somehow become a public figure, donate lots of money to charity, and eventually move into the White House after winning the 2032 presidential election. Alternative options include a career in public service or a successful operatic career.

Thanks for your time, Aileen!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 6 provided by the interviewee; 4, 5

Katie Surine

Notre Dame

Katie is a senior (where did the time go???!!!) living in Lewis Hall. From Baltimore, MD, Katie is pursuing a double major in Vocal Music and Anthropology. Besides writing for HCND, she sings with Opera Notre Dame, choral groups, and she is a pianist for Lewis Hall weekly Mass and Lucenarium, or "Luce" for short. Other interests include baking, reading, traveling, composing, and all things Italian.