Shuffle Don’t Stop: Meet Student DJs Henry Perillo and Stephen Meisenbacher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Random roommates is a terrifying concept for any freshman. The fact that you might get assigned to live with someone with completely different interests is the stuff of nightmares. But every once in awhile, a dynamic duo arises, so great that the Office of Housing can only be smiling at their own creation. Henry Perillo (‘19) and Stephen Meisenbacher (‘19)  are such a pair. No Wednesday evening is complete without hearing their hilarious antics and hot tracks over the Notre Dame airways. Now you have a chance to get to know the men behind the music.

The Basics… 

Name: Henry “Hank” Perillo

DJ Name: Young ‘illo

Hometown: Weston, FL

Graduation Year: 2019

Dorm: Keough Hall

Relationship Status: In a relationship

Favorite Dining Hall Meal: Burger Night! And anything breakfast.

Favorite Notre Dame Tradition: Moreau FYS, just kidding, the Alma Mater

Favorite Disney Movie: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Name: Stephen “Steve” Meisenbacher

DJ Name: DeMeis

Hometown: Warren, NJ

Graduation Year: 2019

Dorm: Keough Hall

Relationship Status: Yes

Favorite Dining Hall Meal: Brunch

Favorite Notre Dame Tradition: The Residence Halls

Favorite Disney Movie: Up!

Life in Keough…

How did you react when you got the rooming assignment email?

Stephen:  I looked at the email very late, so my main concern was getting back to him.

Henry: I waited about a month before contacting Stephen.  I thought that I was bad at communicating until he got back to me in early August.  I found out later that he had been in Germany on a very prestigious trip, so I let it slide.  Other than that though, I was excited.  

Did you Facebook stalk each other before arriving on campus?

Stephen: Hank doesn’t use Facebook!

Henry: No…I just prayed he wasn’t an axe murderer.

First Impressions? Be Honest!

Stephen: Henry definitely seemed like a character.

Henry:  I felt as if Steve would sometimes find my punny and dry sense of humor somewhat annoying at times.  I was right.

Favorite Roomie Memory?

Henry: We went to Chipotle one cold and windy night. So Stephen had his hood up and couldn’t see anything in his periphery. We were right where the bookstore pathway sort of intersects by Ryan, and Stephen stopped dead in his tracks and *insert pelvic thrust and fart noise here* At this point in the interview, Henry stands up and demonstrates in the middle of the studio. Because Stephen had his hood on, he couldn’t see the couple that was a few feet away from us, mildly disgusted by what they had just witnessed. And from this point on, that spot is known as “The Hallowed Spot.”

Any strange habits?

Stephen: If I said Hank has no strange habits, I would be a dirty liar.

Henry: Where to start…what’s the word count?  I guess his strangest habit is that he enjoys working out at one in the morning. 

ABOUT “SHUFFLE, DON’T STOP”…

How did you guys get the idea to start a radio show?

Stephen: Tyler Bear and I happened to pass by the WVFI table at the activities fair, and the rest is history.

Henry: Yeah, so we just plug Stephen’s iPod into the radio system and have left it on shuffle ever since. We just pick up where we left off the week before.

How would you describe your current fan base?

Stephen: Several dozen listeners.

Henry: Retweet. But they are from a wide variety of places.  We’ve had people from Germany and South Africa tune in.

Most Interesting Thing That’s Happened On The Show?

Henry: We’ve had some pretty interesting callers and guests on the show.

Stephen: Yeah, I think the best was Assault Rifle Gabe, Number One Rapper in the UK.

Henry: The first time “Uncle Rick” called in was pretty entertaining, didn’t he say something about the Waffle House?

Favorite Song thats come up on the shuffle so far?  

Stephen: Anything Bruce Springsteen or Green Day. 

Henry: Coldplay: “Up in Flames” because it is the only Coldplay song we’ve heard!

Any plans for the rest of the semester?

Stephen: We’ve got amazing things coming. Live artists and better…

Henry: Wait, what’s better than live artists? More interviews and special guests. Plus some giveaways and call-in games.  

At the end of my interview in the studio, I was offered a position as Media Director/ Assistant to the DJs to be paid in Starbucks and Taco Bell and Candy Wall. So if you would like to experience the excitement that is The Shuffle Don’t Stop, tune into WVFI Wednesday nights at 7 pm. 

Happy Listening Collegietes! XOXOXO

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 3, 4, 5 provided by Stephen Meisenbacher 

Hi everyone, I'm Margaret! I'm a sophmore in Cavanaugh Hall (embrace the Chaos) and I'm majoring in Neuroscience with a minor in Science, Technology and Values. I'm from Falmouth, Maine where I work for a company that makes really awesome bags and purses from old boat sails. In my spare time, I love to dance, read, and binge watch series on Netflix. I also pride myself on my skills as a foodie, so if any one knows of places to get good grub around South Bend, I'd love to hear about them! Notre Dame has been my dream school practically since birth and I still haven't come down from cloud-nine yet despite the struggles of Organic Chemistry- here's hoping that feeling never goes away!