Saturday Night Showdown: Notre Dame vs Florida State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Nearly 9 months, 9 days, and 22 hours have passed since posting this tweet, yet I sit here with even more excitement and apprehension then I felt after watching FSU score the game-winning touchdown on its final drive to defeat Auburn 34-31 in the 2014 BCS National Championship game. 

But now it is finally time: No. 5 Notre Dame v. No. 2 Florida State. Not since 1993 has this rivalry meant so much to both programs. The Seminoles will never forget that very day, when a meeting between then No. 1 FSU and No. 2 Notre Dame resulted in a 31-24 Irish victory. This Saturday, these two undefeated college football programs will meet up head-to-head once again, but this time, only one will advance undefeated with a chance at competing in the highly coveted College Football Playoffs.

So what are the two keys to Notre Dame’s success this Saturday night?

1. Everett Golson: Put Up or Shut Up

It’s a no brainer that the narrative behind this year’s Fighting Irish is a steller offensive line, with Everett Golson leading the pack. With his return to the Irish this season, Golson has amassed 1,683 yards, with 16 touchdowns to 4 interceptions and a passing completion of 62.3 percent. Golson has yet to lose a single regular-season game in his Notre Dame career, yet the same can be said of former Heisman trophy winner and Florida State phenom quarterback Jameis Winston. This Winston-Golson duo will surely create a showdown for the ages, but if Notre Dame wants to see itself on top, Golson must have the best performance of his season (dare I even say, collegiate career). 

2. D-Line Domination

On average, Notre Dame’s defense is much worse against passing plays than against running plays, and Florida State will be more than willing to pass 75 percent of the time if the Seminoles need to. That probably means a lot of passes to FSU’s Rashad Greene (pictured above with Winston), who is the best receiver Notre Dame will face this year. If the Irish can cover him, that will put pressure on not only Winston, but the rest of the Seminole offense. Also, look for our very own Jaylon Smith to go after Jameis Winston on Saturday. We all know we want to see a Famous Jameis sackin’ session.

Let’s do this.

Go Irish. Beat Seminoles.

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images: 1, 2 (provided by author), 3, 4