The Running Tally on Who’s Running

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It may not be 2016 yet, but campaign season is already underway. With ten Republicans and four Democrats already declared, the race is getting a little crowded- particulary for the Republicans. It can be hard to keep up with so many candidates, so I’ve compiled a little cheat sheet to help you keep track of who’s running! 

The Republicans:

Rick Perry

Who is he? Longest serving Governor of Texas. Seriously, he was George W. Bush’s successor as governor and didn’t leave office until 2014.

Who supports him? Small-government conservatives, immigration hardliners, foreign policy hawks…. and Texans.

Check out his new glasses for 2016- very hip Rick.

Lindsey Graham

Who is he? A Senator from South Carolina, who has apparently never sent an email. Exceptionally hawkish on foreign policy, and more moderate on a lot of other issues.

Who supports him? John McCain, his closest ally in the Republican caucus of hawkish moderates

George Pataki

Who is he? Served three terms as Governor of New York State (including during 9/11)

Who supports him? He doesn’t have a lot of loud supporters as of yet. But, he’s a moderate Republican in favor of conservation, same sex marriage, and gun control.

Rick Santorum

Who is he? A Senator for Pennsylvania from 1995 until his defeat in 2006. If you don’t remember him, Santorum was the runner-up for he 2012 nomination. Santorum, a Catholic, is already making waves as he has recently said he doesn’t care what the pope says about climate change since according to Rick himself “the pope has it wrong”…yet, he seems to care what the Koch brothers say about climate change. He also is the sole candidate who wants to reduce legal immigration.

Who supports him? Social Conservatives.

Mike Huckabee

Who is he? Former Governor of Arkansas (shocker – he strives to distance himself as much as possible from the Clintons), a Fox News host, and an ordained preacher. He sat out of the 2012 race after finishing third in 2008.

Who supports him? Social conservatives and evangelical Christians. So do the Duggars, and Huckabee has repaid their support with statements in support of Josh Duggar. 

Ben Carson

Who is he? The former head of pediatric neurosurgery at John Hopkins. He gathered a fan base among conservatives after attacking Obamacare at the 2013 National Prayer Breakfast. He boasts an exceptionally appealing personal story climbing out of poverty to trailblazing neurosurgery.

Who supports him? Grassroots conservatives. Party insiders – not so much

Carly Fiorina

Who is she? The first women to head a Fortune 50 company- she was the CEO of Hewlett-Packard from 1999 to 2005.  Don’t worry if you forget that tid-bit, Fiorina will be sure to remind you as she focus her campaign on contrasting her resume with that of professional politicians. Her only previous political run was challenging Senator Barbra Boxer of CA in 2010…unsuccessfully.

Who supports her?

Marco Rubio

Who is he? Senator from Florida and former Speaker of the Florida House.

Who supports him? The Republican establishment. Those in favor of an interventionist foreign policy.

Rand Paul

Who is he? Son of libertarian hero Ron Paul, an ophthalmologist, and a Senator from Kentucky.

Who supports him? His dad’s fan base, Tea Partiers, libertarians, civil libertarians, non-interventionist Republicans.

Ted Cruz

Who is he? Served as a deputy assistant attorney general during the George W.’s administration. He was then appointed as Texas solicitor general in 2003. Elected into the Senate in 2012.

Who supports him? Far-right conservatives, Tea Partiers who are turned off by Paul’s dovish foreign policy stance, and other social conservatives

The Democrats:

Lincoln Chafee

Who is he? A former Republican Senator from Rhode Island, who stepped into the role when his beloved late father’s seat was vacated. Later, he became governor as an independent. Then again as a Democrat. Only Republican Senator to vote against the Iraq War.

Who supports him? Those Americans who want to switch to the metric system.

Martin O’Malley

Who is he? Former governor of Maryland and mayor of Baltimore. He’s also in a Celtic rock band (O’Malley’s March), if you were wondering. He’s also Catholic, Notre Dame…

Who supports him? Democrats who are more progressive then Hilary, but not as progressive as Sanders.

Bernie Sanders

Who is he? A self-professed socialist. U.S. House member from Vermont from 1991-2007, when he headed on over to the U.S. Senate. Most of his father’s family was killed during the Holocaust.

Who supports him? Well, socialists. Far-left Democrats.

Hilary Clinton

Who is she? She’s Hilary.  Former Secretary of State, former Senator, and former first lady. 

Who supports her? The majority of the Democratic Party…

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rrogalsk@nd.edu or Katrina Linden at klinden1@nd.edu.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

From the Beach to the Bend! I am a Junior Political Science major at the University of Notre Dame originally from Laguna Beach, CA (...yes, like the show). I am minoring in Constitutional Studies and Energy Studies, both of which are much more exciting than they sound I promise! In typical California style, I am obsessed with fish tacos and all things eco-chic! And I am constantly dancing or choreographing in my head!