Read These Books before Seeing the Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

This year in movies is already off to a great start. I’m definitely a bookworm so if there is a movie based on one, I won’t let myself see it until I have conquered the book. Usually this ends badly because the books are always better. With that aside, it’s exciting to see how the characters that you imagine are portrayed on the big screen. There are several movies coming out this year that are based on books and I’m here to give you the low-down.

1. Divergent by Veronica Roth

I never would have pictured myself falling in love with this trilogy. One of my high school teachers kept talking about it and I was hesitant to dive in. Finally, my roommate convinced me. I read it over spring break and couldn’t put it down. I couldn’t wait to see the movie! I won’t ruin anything for those of you that haven’t read or seen it, but I thought they did a pretty decent job of converting the book into movie form. They did leave out a few major parts, but as a whole the movie was good. Additionally, I think it would have been a good movie to see even if I hadn’t read the book. Immediately after seeing the movie I went back to my room and started on the second book, Insurgent. If you do the same, you won’t be disappointed.

2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

This is another book that my roommate coerced me to read (Thanks Anne!). John Green, the author, is a fellow Hoosier and I instantly connected with his main character, Hazel. The story follow her journey through life with cancer. She makes friends and falls in love along the way. It is such a moving story that I have to warn you – you will finish the book in tears, so keep tissues at the ready! I can’t wait to see the movie, which comes out on June 6, 2014. I get emotional every time I see the trailer, so I can’t imagine what I will be like during the actual movie. 

3. The Giver by Lois Lowry

I have not read this one yet, but it is definitely on my list. It won the 1994 Newbery Medal and has sold more than five million copies. It follows a boy named Jonas who lives in a world without emotion. The novel encompasses his journey during which he learns about all of the things that are being kept from the people in his society. It’s a typical middle school read, but from what I have heard I think everyone should check it out if they haven’t already.

These are just a few of the books that I am really looking forward to seeing on the big screen. Others include Mockingjay and Gone Girl. Instead of watching the next season of One Tree Hill on Netflix, I will make it a goal to read more often. We get so overwhelmed with trying to read and get things done for class that we forget how nice it is to read for fun. That’s definitely my inner nerd talking but I hope you enjoy these books as much as I do.

For more colliegette journalism, follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

Photos 1, 2, 3

Hey everyone! I love to write and cry over episodes of One Tree Hill (don't judge). My favorite things to write about are fashion and music. I am definitely an animal and plant lover. I'm a South Bend native so in a way, Notre Dame has always been a part of my home.