andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

RA Babe: Meet Kim Sammons ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Everyone meet Kim, an RA in BP! Check out more on her below. (:

Basics

Name: Kim Sammons

Year: Senior, Class of 2016

Major: Finance (and Psychology kind of but not really)

Dorm: Best People, Best Place, Breen-Phillips

Hometown: Memphis, TN

Favorites Things

Color: Purple

Book: Harry Potter Series

Movie: Pitch Perfect or the Avengers

2000’s Song: “Burn” by Usher

TV Show: Parks and Rec or OITNB

Quote: “Don’t worry, Be Yoncé”

Study Abroad Adventures

What was your favorite part of studying abroad in London?

Getting the opportunity to travel the world and meet so many incredible people, as well as going to all of the markets and eating tons of food. 

Any travel mishaps?

The first weekend we traveled, the bus we took to the airport was about half an hour late and took about half an hour longer than expected, so after my friend Megan convinced the security guy to let us go through the fast pass line, we sprinted through the airport and our gate wasn’t even open yet. Side note, the take off time on your ticket is actually when they open the gate, so it’ll be alright. 

What was it like not living in Conway?

I think it did allow for some different experiences. Having the unlimited Oyster Card allowed me and the others who lived in Hammersmith to explore more of London I think than some of the people who lived in Conway. I still had a lot of friends in Conway and became an honorary member of flat 3-02, so I still got to experience some of the standard ND London things (O’Neill’s on Thursday, Walkabouts on Wednesday, the Market on Southbank). I loved having the little reprieve of my own flat, and we never really got lonely since we had lots of group dinners and stuff in Pure. Also I think that being a little separated really made us appreciate the fact that at school we can walk or cab everywhere but there we had to plan for a 40 minute journey whenever we were making plans. 

Best Harry Potter related adventure?

HARRY POTTER STUDIO TOURS. If you consider yourself a fan, go. It was incredible.  

What advice would you give someone going to Study Abroad?

Don’t plan all of your trips with people you knew before going abroad. I met so many cool people just from discussing where we wanted to go and finding others who had similar likes. When I went to Amsterdam, I only knew 1 out of the 6 people I went with before planning it, and it ended up being my favorite place.  Also don’t forget that there are lots of things to do in the country you’re already in. For example, we went down to the Seven Sisters cliffs in England, and that was just a really fun day trip.

Senior Year Shenangians 

What made you choose Notre Dame?

Honestly, I applied because my brother told me I couldn’t get in. Once I realized that every school I toured I compared to Notre Dame, I realized that the community that it offered would be the best fit for me.  

What are the last items on your Notre Dame bucket list?

Win a National Championship in Football…. dreams. Apart from that lofty goal, I still want to at least go into every dorm, go to Duck Island, do push ups at a football game, and get onto the roof of LaFun.

What are you most excited about as an RA?

I’m super excited to be able to share my experiences at Notre Dame with people to hopefully make it the best experience for them. I’ve done a lot at ND, most I’m proud of, some I’m not so proud of, and I want to be able to share what I’ve learned with my residents. Also my best friend is the other RA on the same floor as me so that’s for sure going to be fun.

What made you want to be an RA?

Well if you’ve ever met me, you know I love my dorm. I have a very big biological extended family, and I know the benefits that come from that, so I decided coming in that I would try to find that same community at ND. I have met some incredible women that will be a part of my life forever in BP, and I want to be there to encourage others to find the best aspects of living in a community like ND. 

Best memory from freshman year?

I’m awful at choosing so I’ll give you the top ones:

1. Probably the most stereotypical for my grade, storming the field after the Stanford win. That was incredible. 

2. Meeting my best friends either by randomly rooming with them, meeting them in Theology, storming into their room assuming we had class together, or seeing them walking back from Domerfest and having no clue how to get home. 

3. When I had to walk a friend back from a South Quad dorm and she didn’t want to walk across God Quad because she was not sober and she said, “I don’t want Jesus to see me!!!”

What are your planning on doing/hoping to do after graduation?

Ideally find someone who thinks I have enough skills to give me money. And get a dog… or 3. 

What’s the best advice you’ve gotten since starting college?

Super cliché, but be yourself. If you act fake, the people you then “befriend” will probably not be the ones you want to be around. 

What advice will you give your freshman?

Bring lots of layers, do what you like to do, and my futon is always open.  

Any plans on section theme?

Music! It’s pretty broad, but hey, I get to make playlists and call it work. 

What is your favorite thing about Notre Dame?

Its a small school environment with big school resources. You can probably find someone who has some random interest that you do, but when something happens everyone really comes together. 

Grab Bag

If you were a Harry Potter character, who would you be?

Ooh. Ideally, minus the fact that she got killed, Bellatrix. She seems like she has a lot of fun. Or Luna, cause she pretty much does whatever she wants, and she has the same name as my grandmother. Or Professor McGonagall cause she is the most boss ass bitch out there. I’ve read them too many times to just pick one!!

Dinosaurs or robots?

DINOSAURS.

Childhood dream job?

Still my dream job, but getting paid to pet dogs.  

If you could be anyone dead or alive for one day who would you be?

BEYONCE. 

What was your favorite part of living in Memphis?

The warmth and lack of permacloud. And food. Best snocones in the world are at Jerry’s, go if you ever get a chance! 

What food would you consume in unlimited quantities if you could?

All of the foods? Stroopwaffle Mcflurries from McDonald’s in the Netherlands. They’re like little pieces of heaven.  

What’s the last book you read for fun?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows… last weekend.

How is the football team going to do this year?

I’m going to say 9-3 with a post season victory.  We’ll probably lose to whoever we play after Navy, have a close one with a California team, then make some stupid mistake resulting in another loss, but ultimately come out with a winning record. Post season I would love to play (and beat) another particular southern football team that has a former Notre Dame player as their new quarterback.

Favorite place in South Bend?

I’m partial to the pet store in the University Park Mall, but on campus I like sitting across the lake from Carroll. 

Anything else you want to tell me?

I told my Grandma I was doing this, and her response was, “Why am I not the celebrity? I’m the mother of a graduate and grandmother of one graduating!!” Also that picture from Halloween is me and Maddy Lugli as Kanye and Kim, with Baby North West. 

Thanks for the interview, Kim!

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.com or Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images: provided by interviewee

Maria Fahs

Notre Dame

Maria is finishing her Masters in English at Notre Dame. She has read many good books and several bad books, but she usually tries not to finish those. Her current favorites are: 1984, The Book Thief, The Tragedy Paper, Code Name Verity, Dr. Copernicus, I Am the Messenger, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and of course, Harry Potter. She is writing her second thesis on Harry Potter, exploring notions of authorship and reader agency in the digital age. She even managed to write her Capstone on British Children's Literature and designed her own Directed Readings Course on Notre Dame history during undergrad. Her favorite way to read is with a mug of tea and scented candles. When she doesn't have her nose stuck in a book, she can be found binging on the BBC (Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Merlin [RIP]). Her favorite color is purple, she studied abroad in London, and she enjoys being an amateur painter. She harbors a not-so-secret dream of one day writing a children's book, but until then, she is likely to be found reading them and writing letters whenever she gets a chance. She hopes to teach English or work in a university sharing her love of education.