Questions Everyone Asks When You Come Home From College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

When you go back home from college, no matter where you live or what grade you are in, everyone wants to know everything about your time in school.  Yes, it is great that everyone cares so much about your experiences, but after a point, your answers become more like rehearsed lines in a play than genuine responses.  Here are the questions to watch out for when you go home; start practicing!

1.  How do you like (insert school here)?

I know this is the broadest question there could possibly be, but everyone asks it expecting a super specific answer.  Just be honest, it’ll get you a lot farther than lying about your time in school, because then you have to keep up the same façade for everyone you come across.

2.  Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend?

You are going to be asked this question whether you like it or not.  Everyone is nosy when it comes to relationship statuses, and everyone is going to want to see a picture and hear the story of how you met if the answer is yes.  So if you’ve met someone, go ahead and feel free to gush about that person.  If not, talk about all the awesome friends you’ve made.  Your relationships do not define your college experience, so talk about all the other cool things you’ve done!

3.  What are you majoring in?

“I remember when you were 5 you wanted to be a train conductor.  Are you looking into engineering?” Um no grandma I’m actually a Business major with a Political Science minor.  Those dreams were from a long time ago, before physics ruined my life.

4.  How was your roommate?

Living with a roommate is a foreign concept to some people, so some are genuinely curious about what it is like living with a total stranger.  Some people have amazing friendships blossom from it, and some people have horror stories.  Feel free to share yours.

5.  What do you do for fun there?

Now is the time to brag about all those extracurriculars you are involved in! Or all the Netflix shows you have binge watched…

6.  Is it really different than home?

I would hope that your college experience is different than home, considering your home does not have a mascot (if you do, you must have a pretty sick house!).  But go ahead and talk about the way your campus looks and feels as compared to where you live.  A lot of people will never know what makes your college special, so tell them!

7.  Is the weather that bad?

If you go to school in a different part of the country than where you are from, the weather will change drastically.  Most people hope that you are coping okay, and who knows, if you aren’t, you might get some weather appropriate gifts out of it!

8.  Did you make any friends?

I have all the seasons of the TV show. But seriously, talk about all the different people you have met and are lucky enough to call friends.  Diversity is a big thing in college, so having friends from India, Mexico, and Venezuela is pretty impressive.

Realize, the people that are asking are doing it because they care, so after answering the same question from twenty different people, put on a smile and get ready to answer the same bunch all over again from person twenty one.  Good luck collegiettes!

Make sure to follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Well hi there!Here's 5 cool facts about me:I am an Computer Engineering major from New York City.Corny jokes make me laugh... actually, almost anything can make me laugh.  You will always find me giggling at something ridiculous.I am a Spanish and Italian half-breed, but I speak fluent Russian (crazy I know)Dark chocolate is my number one weakness.Nothing makes me happier than making someone smile :)Check out my articles if you'd like!